Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rump Roast how do I everything....

Options
Coleslaw
Coleslaw Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am slowly devouring the quarter steer we bought, and now it is time to do a rump roast. I glimpsed at the latest forum subjects, and didn't see anything. So..any advice from prep to smoke would be most appreciated. I have done jerky, chick, steak, and ham so I am not totally a rookie.

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    coleslaw,[p]Lately, we really like Oak wood for smoke with beef. Cherry is also wonderful...[p]Never actually done a rump roast, but DizzyPig's Cowlick is GREAT on any kind of beef IMHO...[p]Usually, I go for a medium rare, 125-130° or so internal. [p]QBabe
    :~)

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    coleslaw,[p]I inquired about rump roasts a couple of times on this forum and pretty much discovered that not many people have done them, and those that have said it can be a challenge. Problem is, you can probably just find Choice at best, but maybe only Select. So, you're not going to have much marbling at all. Your dilemma then is that you have a big thick mass of meat with very little fat. You have to cook it a decent amount of time to get it medium rare in the center, but the tradeoff in time is tenderness. [p]The best advice I can give you is to marinade that sucker for at least 24 hours in something tangy/vinegary to help tenderize it slightly, then smoke it at a higher temp (maybe 400 - 450) until 145 in the center. Then, slice very thinly and it will make good roast beef sandwiches.[p]I did one once and wasn't too happy with the results. If you've ever been to Fogo de Chao, though, their house specialty is a rump roast, which is extremely tender and super flavorful. I don't know how they do it, but my guess is that they are getting the best of the best quality rump roast, which to date I have been unable to find or even order from a butcher around here.[p]Good luck, and please post your results - I'm anxiously waiting for someone to have great success with a rump roast![p]TRex
  • coyote
    Options
    too bad I checked this post *after* I tried a rump roast (Angus choice). Rubbed with Penzey's Roast rub after some olive oil. Used a plate setter and roast rack with drip pan. after about 3.5 hrs @ 225 hit internal 147. We were pretty disappointed. Not tender at all. the outsides had a good flavor, both smoke and the rub, but it didn't get into much of the middle of the roast.