Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting the lump

Options
Love Handles
Love Handles Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've always scooped up the left over lump, added some fresh lump and lit it in a chimney style starter. The hands always get real dirty, which is no big deal, but I'm wondering if I couldn't just stir the left over lump, add some new lump and then use a weber starter cube on top of the lump. Do you think this would take the lump a lot longer to get going or not. See-Yaa

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Love Handles, I basicaly us ethis method and have found it to be fine with two exceptions. If I am going to do a lo'n'slo, I have found I need to clean out the dead lump and make sure all the holes are clear. Likewise when I want a hot fire (750 or so) it pays to have fresh lump.

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Love Handles, this is exactly how I have been doing it for quite some time and it works fine. Also I have found a Wok ladle(looks like a small shovel about four inches square with a long handle) that is the best for stirring the lump. You can scoop the lump around and kind of fold over; this really gets all the ash and small pieces to fall through the ash grate. Then just add a little more fresh lump for your cook. Once in a while I just let the remaining lump burn-off at high temp to clean the egg and then start again with a new load of all fresh lump.[p]

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Love Handles,
    I personally like to use an electric starter but keep the cubes on hand, just in case.
    I think it does take longer using the method you described. I place my starter under the used lump (usually just a couple handfulls), after it gets going good, then add for the type of cook for the day.
    A balmy 47 here today.[p]CWM

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Love Handles,
    I always stir the left over lump real well with an ash tool, then add fresh lump to the pile. I used an electric starter until just before Christmas when I got a MAPP gas torch. No way I'm going back to the electric starter - it's hanging on the wall in my basement. The torch has cut in half the time it takes to light the fire and get up to cooking temps.

• Love Handles
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Last night I tried one of the weber cubes on top of a mixture of used and new lump. I let it go for about 10 min, came out of the house and noticed it wasn't going as good as I expected. I closed the lid and left it alone for a few more minutes with both vents all the way open. In another 10 min when I came back out it was up to 700* I guess that answered my question. Thanks for your reply--See-Yaa