Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

buying a big green egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
formerly a gas bbq coocker am thinking about changing to an egg
does it realy take 10 minutes to heat up and what about steaks
thanks ian

Comments

• ian,
    In regards to heating up the egg it depends on how you do it. It'll take 15-30 minutes to get to 700-750F. (steak searin' temps) if you use starter cubes, depending on several factors, lump quality, outside temperature, etc. I started using a MAPP gas torch (MAPP is kinda like propane on steroids) based on the recommendations of several folks in this forum and it is QUICK. I did steaks this past weekend and I got my large egg up to 700F. in about 10 minutes with the outside temps hovering around 10F. here in northern Illinois.[p]Good luck on your decision. [p]Jeff

• Vegas Slim
    Options
    ian,
    buy it! i gave my old 300 PLUS dollar gassy away the egg is that good!

• Dock of The Woods
    Options
    ian, 10, 20, 30 minutes what ever, you will get use to it, and when you do, you will just plan ahead when to lite the Egg. And you will learn like the rest of us it is worth it. I know that that there are times when some folks are in a hurry when they cooking out. For me, it is more relax time!Good luck with your new BGE, you will not regret it![p]Hugh, "Sitting on The Dock of The Woods"

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    ian, it usually takes about 20-30 minutes for my Large BGE to get to cooking temps; I start with a Weber Starter Cube on top of the lump. This time is mostly unmonitored as you can light the cube with the vents open and come back after 10 or so munutes and close down to your desired openings. [p]It took at least 15 minutes for my gas BBQ(which I gave away to get to cooking temp so it is almost the same. the big difference is the fantastic results and the flexibility of the BGE

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    ian,
    How long it takes for an egg temp to rise to cooking temps depends upon your method of starting the fire and what kind of cook you are planning. In my experience, Weber cubes are the slowest method, electric starters are a little faster and a MAPP gas torch it by far the fastest. Also, if you are smoking something like trout at 250° it takes less time for the egg to get there than if you are doing a steak at 750°.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    ian,
    I'd guess it takes me 15 to 20 mins. to get to 700° with my large. It took that long to get my gasser to 400°.[p]As hinted at below, the beauty part is the same cooker will hit and hold 230° for hours on end - just right for low and slow barbecue. And without skipping a beat, hold 400° rock solid for bread-baking.[p]Ken

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    BlueSmoke, I would agree with that. In fact, night before last (when I was doing some lo'n'slo pulled pork) I forgot about it for a few minutes and it was at 600 before I could get back to it. Had to shut it down to get it to around 250 before putting on the pork. Was really, really careful when opening that guy up when it finally made its way down
    to 250. I wanted to keep what little hair I have.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Wise One,
    Given my documented lack of caution, I'm trying to figure out how to open a "Flashback Express" with either my ears or my eyebrows. (Old guy joke: whippersnappers need not feel constrained to chuckle.)
    Ken

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    Ian,
    My boss the fastest way is to start the BGE is with either an electric start or cubes for about 5 minutes and then use a lawn and leaf blower in the bottom draft door. You do tend to use a bit more charcoal with this method and your gasket will not last as long as other methods.
    Julie

• docrjh
    docrjh Posts: 21
    Options
    ian,
    You could keep your gas grill too, and only use it when you wanted to achieve temps 5-10 min faster, HOWEVER you would never really use it once you experience the steaks on the egg. The difference is truly NIGHT & DAY. On my second attempt at steak on the egg, I was so thrilled I was hardly capable of intelligible speech! These were better than any I had done on the gas grill in the previous 20 years. Another element to consider... this is really fun!

Regards,
    docrjh

• Gordy
    Gordy Posts: 49
    Options
    Vegas Slim,
    Good move (giving away the gas grill). I find myself having to start up the gas grill once in awhile just to kill off the hornets and the nests inside.[p]Only use my gas grill when there are multiple types of meat cooking and we have a big crowd. i.e. ribs or steaks on the egg for the adults, dogs and frozen patties for the little kids (only if you don't let then know the ribs are cooking and they are starving).