Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

aged prime rib

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are going to cook some prime rib for Friday. I have seen posts that refer to "aged beef". How do you age it? Do we have time before Friday? [p]Thanks, as always.

Comments

• qbabes husband,
    I don't think 2 days will do much but have a look at this site. [p]http://bbq.about.com/library/weekly/aa030301a.htm

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    qbabes husband,[p]I have done this a few times and quite honestly have never really noticed any difference.[p]It is quite easy to do......[p]Place UNCOVERED roast on a wire rack. Do not season at this stage. Place the wire rack and roast on a plate and set in fridge. Let age for 3-4 days. When ready to cook, you must trim off all the ugly looking dried-up stuff. The plate will catch the drippings, so watch it and empty if needed.[p]The roast will shrink because of the fluid loss. This in turn intensify's the flavor by changing the muscle structure.[p]I question how much good this really does. REAL aging is done on the sub-prmal cuts of beef under VERY tightly controlled conditions. You must accurately hold temp, humidity and air flow...yes, you need a breeze. Impossible to do in the home fridge.[p]Besides...most meat is already aged for 7 days by the time we buy it.[p]If you try this, let us know what you think![p]Stogie
  • SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Options
  • qbabes husband,
    refridgerators dehumidify. that's not what you need for aging beef. you'll end with old dried up beef.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    shiek,
    That's the whole point of dry aging beef in the fridge, I thought. It is to take some of the moisture out and concentrate the flavor. As I recall, when A.B. did his flower pot roast on Good Eats, he started with a 10 pounder and ended up with a 9 pounder. It sure looked good when he did it![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz