Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp to high

Options
Bricklayer
Bricklayer Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first cook- I cant get the temp below 300.Any suggestions?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    not trying to be a wise *ss... but the secret is to not go above it in the first place.

if you are desperate, then shut all vents and wait.

if you have time, open top and bottom to just a sliver. and wait. you need to come UP to temps from below. when the temp is 250 or so, open those vents again SLIGHTLY, and watch the needle. as it goes up, start slowing it by shutting vents.

same for when you light it. after the starter cubes or whatever burn off clean, shut the dome (you can shut the dome as they burn, too, but sometimes they snuff out). set your vents about a third open for 350. again, as you come up to the temp, start slowing the needle down by slowly shutting the vents.

in truth, you can control the fire entirely with the top or bottom vent alone. i tend to do the rough adjustments with the bottom, and fine tune with the top.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bricklayer
    Options
    That helped. Thanks
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you're welcome. don't worry about having it open only a sliver. it won't go out. once it is burning hot, you really need to jam the brakes on. even totally shutting it is ok, as long as you don't let it go totally out.

welcome aboard.
    how was the first cook?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Options
    Don't feel bad,that's the #1 rookie mistake.Don't go past your target temp,the Egg doen't cool down easily