Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yellow Fin Tuna -- Time and Temperature ??????

Options
Big John
Big John Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have some Yellow Fin Tuna steaks and need some help with temperatures and how to know when they are done. I have never tried tuna on the BGE before. Any suggestions?[p]Big John

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Big John,[p]Hot and fast. 500-550° for 5-8 min per side. If you have a good thermo device try to get the center to 115-120° for a medium. Many like their tuna red in the middle (I didn't say pink) and those folks may think pink is too done. I would go for for pink or all whiteish in color in the center. I like mine well seared on the outside and white middle. I will pull it off when the center is 125° or so I think. It will be quite flaky when done.[p]Tim
  • Big John
    Options
    Tim M,
    Thanks Tim. I am starting the fire now. That will give me some good guide lines to shoot for.
    73s
    Big John

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Big John,[p]I did some recently, but overcooked it. Here's the link to the post and pic. The recipe is the last post. It was one yummy meal, but next time I would pull it earlier at around 110° or 115°. It was white throughout and flakey.[p]Many say tuna should be medium-rare, and I'd have to agree. Don't let the "red" or "pink" center fool you. I had my first taste of med-rare tuna not long ago and it was the food of the gods![p]Have fun!
    QBabe
    :~)[p]

[ul][li]Oriental Grilled Tuna with Wasabi Cream[/ul]
  • Big John
    Options
    QBabe,
    Thanks for the link. That picture looks great. I hope mine comes out that nice. They are going on the grill now along with some shrimp. The stuffed mushrooms just come off. [p]Thanks,
    Big John

• Big John
    Options
    Tim M & QBabe,
    Thanks for the help with the tuna tonight. It was really good. Next time I will pull it off a little sooner though. It was white throughout, no pink. Still, I was satisfied with my first tuna cook. [p]Thanks again,
    Big John