Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry pork chops

Gshell
Gshell Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a large Egg at Christmas time and only had 1 chance to use it due to the Indiana weather. I tried pork chops, one of my favorites but they turned out dry. Any tips, time & temp, I need some Eggspert advice. I wanna try them again this weekend the weather is supposed to break.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Gshell,
    How thick were they?? Thin chops go real quick...just a few minutes a side at 500 plus. Thicker ones I like to do in the 450 range for longer. Like white chicken meat, there is a narrow window between when they are done....and when they are dry. Until you get the feel of it, it helps to measure the internal temp, and remove them at 145...150 tops.[p]A cold winter here in the DC area too. Normally I don't mind winter....but I am tired of this one! Still get out and cook fairly often, but would really love some longer days. I guess its a comin! Least the famous Pennsylvania groundhog sez so.[p]Good luck with the chops!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gshell, there was a good thread on the forum that started on 2-9 if you can go back to it. Tim M ask the ques. about pink in the middle pork. The sensus was that you no longer have to get pork so done. I think once the temp reached 137 all the junk was killed. I am sure someone will chime in soon with better details. I would suggest buying and extra chop that you can cut into a little early to see how things are going, you always nee something to sample while you are egging anyway. Also "once since Christmas" I am sure you are going to catch some ragging over that, sometimes you have to be tuff! to be and egger in the winter.[p]Hugh, Great Night in Georgia " Sitting on The Dock of The Woods

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Gshell,[p]3 words:[p]Brine brine brine.[p]Those who have read my comments in the past know that I am a huge advocate of brining, and rare is the time I will ccok a pork chop without doing so. You'll never have a dry one again. Also, I like to buy them with the bone in. [p]Drop me an email if you would like a couple of receipts.
  • SSDawg
    Gshell,[p]3 words:[p]Brine brine brine.[p]Those who have read my comments in the past know that I am a huge advocate of brining, and rare is the time I will ccok a pork chop without doing so. You'll never have a dry one again. Also, I like to buy them with the bone in. [p]Drop me an email if you would like a couple of receipts.
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Gshell,[p]I like to do the really thick cut center loin chops with the bone in. I like these grilled hot and fast in the 400-500 range seasoned simply with salt, pepper, a bunch of fresh rosemary, and extra virgin olive oil. I like a good tomato based BBQ sauce on the side, or lately, if the chops are cooked well and are still nice and juicy, I like them with just the tiniest dash of Tabasco.[p]Good luck,
    Cornfed

• Gshell, 3 Tips that should help:[p]1. Get your Chops cut think, about 1.5 inches.
    2. Brine the chops for 1-4 hours, this add flavours and moisture.
    3. Don't over cook, medium should be fine (to be safe 160 dgr) [p]Check this site out for more on pork
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/pork.htm

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    SSDawg,
    "Brine"! SSDawg has supplied the correct answer, imho. Have fun.

• SSDawg
    Marvin,[p]Wow, this may mark the forst time in my life that I've ever been backed up by a doctor. They usually just back away. ; )
  • Gshell
    SSDawg,
    Thanks for the tip, I have never brined anything but poultry…I don’t know why just never have. I’ll try it this weekend.

• Gshell
    Nature Boy,
    They were cheap chops and not very thick, I was thinking more in line of an oven 300-350F, everyone is saying higher. Can’t wait to try it. [p]This year has been unseasonably cold for Indiana. We haven’t had a day over 30 deg since the middle of Dec. Today is 12deg wind chill –10, can’t wait till it ends. [p]Thanks
    Greg

• Gshell
    Dock of The Woods,[p]Thanks, I’ll check out 2/9. [p]Its easy to say be tuff and egg in the winter from Georgia, where a cold winter night is 50deg, up here in Indiana were out in shorts and a T-shirt when it hits 40.