Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza dough

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK. I've done it. I've bought the Egg. I've built the table. I cooked burgers last night (well, I had to do something quick for me and the kids -- plus, burgers seemed appropriate as an initial offering to the Egg). Plain old ground sirloin with a slight dose of Seafood Magic -- good, good, good.[p]Now: I must cook a pizza. I've obtained several interesting recipies from the forum, but I haven't come across a dough recipie. My question to you: what's the best? Prep time is irrelevant. Gives me more time to drink beer and look at the Egg if I gotta let the dough rise and stuff.[p]Thanks in advance![p]David

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    David Saliba,
    Look in the recipe file for Spin's three step approach to pizza making. He has a good dough recipe in it! Also, if you can buy "bread machine" pizza dough box mixes, you can't hardly go wrong with those!
    Good luck, and congratulations on the new addition! Welcome also to the forum. Things can only get better, you'll see![p]Dr. Chicken

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    David Saliba,
    Also, Troy has a recipe under the "new recipe" file for pizza or calzone dough. That recipe will work![p]Good luck, let us know how it turns out![p]Dr. Chicken

• Thanks for the info!! I didn't notice the recipe link. Man, what great stuff![p]David
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    David Saliba,[p]Just a suggestion. You are wanting to move from the VW beetle into the Corvette. Pizza is a big step in the learning curve. Spin's pizza recipe is a great pizza primer but its a large step for a new user, not impossable but just holding 575 deg dome is a challenge until you get 3-4 cooks under your belt. My suggestion is to get a Boboli (sp?) or similar rising dough crust, add your sauce, cheese and toppings (add them on top so they cook) and do your first pizza that way. Good luck - you will be very happy with the results. Pictures at link below - under pizza.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]---Tim's BGE cookbook ---[/ul]
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    David Saliba,[p]Congrats on the BGE purchase, years of happy cooking in your future.[p]As far as pizza dough recipes, I've posted one in teh recipe section that I've used and it works great. It's similar to Spin's recipe but I've never compared them line by line. Both will work great.[p]Tim M had a good suggestion also, Bobboli crust will be a bit easier but if you're feeling frisky, go for it. It's difficult to hold a 500+ dome temp the first time you try it so be sure to watch teh pizza through the chimney and keep it from burning. It will be a definite hands on cook, not one that you can leave unattended for 20 minutes and check when it "should" be done.[p]BTW, I would be remiss in my duties as a BGE user if I didn't suggest to try a Calzone on teh BGE also, they are great. If you like Pizza, you'll like a BGE calzone. Check the recipe section for other good breads and pizza ideas.[p]Troy
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    David Saliba,
    I haven't (sorry to say) had good luck with the self-rising storebought pizzas. However, Pillsbury, or somebody makes a decent pizza dough in one of those tubes. If you're not into breadmaking, which I am not, you might try one of those.
    JimW

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    JimW, I tested out some of Betty Crockers new Pizza dough in the sealed packages. It's not to shabbys. Simple to make. Just add 1/2 cup of hot water to a package in a bowl and stir mightily with a HD spoon. I made one yesterday for a quick pizza run on my repaired (Tri-Pad or Tri-Stone)
    That's enuff for a 12 to 14 inch pizza. I happened to grab a bag of RobinHood Whole wheat flour for dusting the table top to work the dough and roll it out. I will do that one again. The wheat flour added something to the flavor of the dough. The dough had a nice even dark brown texture and nice and crisp all the way thru and around the edges. It was a 20 minute bake at 450 degrees. They had those Betty Crocker packages on sale 3 for a buck a week or so ago, so I loaded up on em. Spins Pizza Dough is highly recommended on the recipe pages. I do his when I am in the mood for getting really into the dough making.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    David Saliba, Welcome David. Congrats on being inducted into the cult. Any friend of Chef Paul Prudhomme is a friend of mine. I'm a "magic" magician too. I think he has cornered the market on the type of southern tastes that appeal to me. I will let some of the dough-nuts answer your dough question though. I'm a recipe follower in that area. And welcome to the forum.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    David Saliba,[p]A hearty welcome to the EGG family and forum from a fellow pizza lover. Cooking pizza on your EGG requires several things to make the cook pleasurable and successful. First is a quality pizza stone. Many stones available just can't withstand the cooking temps capable in your EGG and can break to pieces. If you've made pizza in the oven on a stone, stick with the oven temps (and oven pizza) in the EGG unless you are sure that it can withstand the stress of 500-600F. Second is a means to raise the pizza stone to the opening lip level to facilitate easy insertion and removal of the pies. Third is a means to actually insert and remove the pies. A pizza peel is made for this purpose and works like a charm.[p]As you didn't state the size of your EGG we can only guess and (in the future) may tend to offer advice that may not be helpful to you. I suggest that you enter your profile in the "Visitor Profiles" section of this website. You can state as much or little about yourself as you want. At a minimum I'd suggest you pick a handle (forum user name), state the size of your EGG, and an email address would be useful (but not necessary). Each time you post, potential responders can go to your profile, see what you use and better tailor their response to your question.[p]EGG pizza is great and is the only way to go.[p]Spin
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    sprinter,[p]You are correct about calzones on the egg. Now you 've gone and made me hungry. [p]Tim