Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinions on chopping up fat cap?

Options
Chris
Chris Posts: 117
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't want to open up the whole "Fat Cap up or Down or no fat cap at all" debate, but just wanted to check to see if most people (that leave the Fat cap intact) chop it up with the pulled pork, or discard it. I have thought about removing it before the cook and see how the bark turns out.

Currently, I chop up most of the fat cap and mix it in. I do discard some of the more mushy/fatty looking pieces.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    There shouldn't be any left to chop up if the beastie is cooked correctly.

If on the outside chance there is.. NO I don't mix it in.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I also dont mix it in. I do always have a little left, but I discard it.
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    Don't forget the dog!!!! You do have a dog don't you?

I have a bird dog :cheer: .

12-2008018.jpg

Gordon
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I got a mini schnauzer. Hes about the size of a fat cap! :woohoo: Not sure if he could choke it down or not. :blink:
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I am with CW on this one. If there happens to be any larger peices of fat; it gets tossed.
  • Chris
    Options
    No Dog. Just me, the wife, and an 11 month old
  • Chris
    Options
    That's what I figured most do. I obviously keep the hard bark, but there always seems to be a little bit of the mushy/fatty stuff.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I toss anything and everything that I wouldn't want to eat. And that includes chunks of fat!
  • Chris
    Options
    So do you get a really good bark all the way around the butt if you remove the Fat cap prior to cooking? I am thinking about removing it before smoking, so when I pull/chop I don't have to filter out the fatty pieces.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    When doing one of my first butts, I trimmed way too much of the fat off. A lot of the bark wasn't good, it was just burnt. So now I try to leave at least 1/4 inch, or a bit more. That way, as it drips off, there's a good chance any plain meat will be basted.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    I think you mean the fat cap on a brisket. Pork butts don't really have a fat cap. They develope a bark that gets crusty. I mix all that good crusty stuff in when I pull the pork. On a brisket there is some fat that will need to be removed before serving or slicing. This fat is mostly from about middle of the flat to the end of the point. Just scrape with flat side of your knife only far enough for your slicing. Good luck to you. Tom
  • BajaTom
    Options
    In our restaurant BBQ business we use every bit of the butt. We occasionly get a request for just white meat. I think those are people who don't understand real slow smoked BBQ. I think they are people who usually have their PP with the sauce already mixed in the PP. Good luck to ya> Tom
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Pork Butts do have a fat cap..

On a Brisket there is a LOT of fat. It covers the all of the flat and up in-between the point and the flat.

You must be getting butts and briskets with the fat trimmed off..
  • BajaTom
    Options
    I know there is a thin layer of fat around one end of the butt. I hardly consider that a fat cap like you see on a packer trimed brisket. I'm sure Chris is buying his butts just like most people from Sams/Costco or the local grocery store. Good luck to ya. Tom
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Big'un wrote:
    I toss anything and everything that I wouldn't want to eat. And that includes chunks of fat!

I agree right up to the part about tossing anything you would not want to eat. I like a little fat on chops and steaks and in a similar way, I like a little in my pulled pork. I do most of my trimming before I cook.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Chris,
    Simple, leave the fat on for low n slow, Remove WHILE pulling. Do you want to sink your teeth into a wad of greasy and shimmy fat? :evil: :evil:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    there is definitely a fat cap on boston butts from sam's. you will still have a lot of it when the butts are done. (not sure where cw was coming from on that)

ribeyesasppine-031.jpg

you'll want to remove all the fat when you pull the pork. there are veins of fat running through the different muscles... even glands, so remove it.

for me, the best, sweetest meat is just under if not in the fat cap, but you have to separate the fat cap to get it.