Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Greek Giros (Pita Saannngweeech)

ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last week when I did the Lamb Steak Pizza, it started out as an attempt to do a Giros pizza (due to my ongoing disdain for eating out :sick: , I did what I always do, I went to the store to gather the necessary ingredients to do it myself :cheer: ). I was looking for pre-made Giros meat but couldn’t find any. So I picked up the lamb & seasoned it Giros-esque & did the pie, however I still wanted a real Giros, so I returned, got more, & here’s how I replicated the sandwich:

1. Giros meat is fine ground if not pulverized, so rather than grind it I put all the ingredients into the food processor (50-50 mix of lamb shoulder & t-bone steak, garlic, onion, marjoram, rosemary, olive oil, salt, pepper);

2. The shape of Giros meat is important, it is formed into a large block & slow cooked on a vertical spit. I don’t have a spit (but I gots me an egg :woohoo: ) so I accomplished the same result by forming the meat into a small block, partially froze to hold its shape just long enough to set during the open moments of cooking;

3. To the egg indirect at 350 for an hour;

4. Sliced down, onto a pan-fried pita & topped with tomatoes, onions & blobs of Tzatziki Sauce:

The ingredients:

IMG_2503.jpg

Meat with seasonings:

IMG_2505.jpg

Formed into a block for partial freezing:

IMG_2506.jpg

To make the Tzatziki Sauce, drain the yogurt so it’s not so nasty wet:

IMG_2504.jpg

The sauce makin’s all together (the drained yogurt, grated garlic, grated cucumber, lemon juice, olive oil, salt):

IMG_2507.jpg

The egg set-up:

IMG_2508.jpg

After an hour:

IMG_2509.jpg

On the plate:

IMG_2511.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

This was pretty good, the meat wasn’t exactly right, it lacked the typical texture I was looking for, but the flavor was good & overall in the scheme of things, it tasted like a real Giros, I’ll do it again with some revisions, family loved it.

Comments