Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Greek Giros (Pita Saannngweeech)

Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last week when I did the Lamb Steak Pizza, it started out as an attempt to do a Giros pizza (due to my ongoing disdain for eating out :sick: , I did what I always do, I went to the store to gather the necessary ingredients to do it myself :cheer: ). I was looking for pre-made Giros meat but couldn’t find any. So I picked up the lamb & seasoned it Giros-esque & did the pie, however I still wanted a real Giros, so I returned, got more, & here’s how I replicated the sandwich:

1. Giros meat is fine ground if not pulverized, so rather than grind it I put all the ingredients into the food processor (50-50 mix of lamb shoulder & t-bone steak, garlic, onion, marjoram, rosemary, olive oil, salt, pepper);

2. The shape of Giros meat is important, it is formed into a large block & slow cooked on a vertical spit. I don’t have a spit (but I gots me an egg :woohoo: ) so I accomplished the same result by forming the meat into a small block, partially froze to hold its shape just long enough to set during the open moments of cooking;

3. To the egg indirect at 350 for an hour;

4. Sliced down, onto a pan-fried pita & topped with tomatoes, onions & blobs of Tzatziki Sauce:

The ingredients:

IMG_2503.jpg

Meat with seasonings:

IMG_2505.jpg

Formed into a block for partial freezing:

IMG_2506.jpg

To make the Tzatziki Sauce, drain the yogurt so it’s not so nasty wet:

IMG_2504.jpg

The sauce makin’s all together (the drained yogurt, grated garlic, grated cucumber, lemon juice, olive oil, salt):

IMG_2507.jpg

The egg set-up:

IMG_2508.jpg

After an hour:

IMG_2509.jpg

On the plate:

IMG_2511.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

This was pretty good, the meat wasn’t exactly right, it lacked the typical texture I was looking for, but the flavor was good & overall in the scheme of things, it tasted like a real Giros, I’ll do it again with some revisions, family loved it.
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Marc-
    i don't think they have stuff like that in Pennsylvania Dutch country-at least I haven't had it :lol: (To be more precise, I know for a fact that they have the Sam Adams ;) )

BTW-Did you see my email?

Brian
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    So it was more the texture that was off. to me it is almost like a cooked paste. So maybe just processing a little longer? keep us posted. I had my first one this summer and LOVED it. I would love to try to duplicate it on the egg.
  • Zippylip
    understandable, I first met the Giros in college in western PA, huge Greek popolation & you can get good Giros everywhere, south-eastern PA, you've got to look a little harder - next time you are down the shore, grab one on the boardwalk, they are everywhere there too, you'll be instantly addicted, it is unbelievably good stuff

got your email, I'll reply
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    yea, it is difficult to explain, & I am not sure how the H they do that, but you know what I'm talk'n about, they are spectacular, I've been addicted for about 25 years, when I was in college they sold in every pizza shop for 2 bucks, & they were packed much more than the way I made'm - more processing certainly would make it smoother, this was similar to meatloaf texture, but like I said the flavor was close so all together it was pretty good

I'll keep working on it & if I get it I will do a follow-up
    happy in the hut
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Even if it wasn't perfect I give you a 10 for effort. It looks great to me!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    that looks good i did gyros once followed some food network recepie and the sauce was not good i did not get good yougurt :(

DSCN0593.jpg

DSCN0590.jpg

no plate shot i usually do the second one but the first one tasted like $hit so i did not take a plate pick

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Zippylip
    the Tzatziki turned out the best on my effort, it was the meat that was lacking, how did your meat stack up to the real thing? There is greek yogurt out there (although I couldn't find any on the short notice I did this), but the draining really helped, the stuff was dead on -

are you the Steeler fan?, & if so are you from Pittsburgh?
    happy in the hut
  • BENTE
    the meat was only ok... it made a bowl movement but that is about all.. i needed to get the greek yougurt. but was too cheap :blush: .. i think if i had a better fan base for them they would be more popular.. i have been making tacos de carne asada with flat irons marinated in mojo stuff. and that has been pretty popular so i have been getting better with them..

yes i am a steeler fan i have been since i was old enough to tell my parents that i do not like the browns so stop dressing me in this stuff :laugh: i was born in dover ohio and lived for the first 12 years of my life in ohio 2 hours from pittsburgh.. had lots of friends that were steelers fans. i have continued to be a steeler fan and will always be.. just like an egger :whistle:

imagejpeg_2.jpg

and this is on my tree

DSCN1286.jpg

and this is the tree notice the skirt that is a steeler tree skirt
    DSCN1279.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Zip you are really doing some inovative cooks!! Would really like to try this but don't do the yogart thing. Don't say drain it. Still havent worked up the nerve to squeeze the ricoda cheese! :laugh: What else sides would you suggest for dressing? No creams please! ;)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Works just as good with sour cream.

Sauce, Tzadziki, Gyro, Nene Caradimitropoulo

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup cucumber-peeled and diced fine
    2 cups sour cream
    1 clove garlic, minced fine
    1 Tbs olive oil
    1 Tbs lemon juice
    1 tsp garlic salt
    1 Tbs chives-chopped or
    1 Tbs fresh mint-chopped or
    1 Tbs dill, chopped.

Procedure:
    1 Wrap cucumber in several thicknesses of paper towels and press out all moisture. Combine cucumber with remaining ingredients and mix well. Transfer to serving bowl. Chill. Yield 2 cups.
    2 I've made the first recipe and it tastes pretty close to what you get on a commercial gyro, here in California.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Sauce

Recipe Source
    Source: BBQ List, Norm Corley, 1997/12/28

Source: "A Greek Feast - A book of Greek Recipes"
  • JLOCKHART29
    BENTE, Using your short rib recipe/method right now. It better be good!!! :laugh:
  • JLOCKHART29
    There's that "cream" word again as in "sour cream". Yea I know..strange one I am! :laugh: Don't do mayo, mirical whip, cream cheeses, yogart, sour cream, ect. Guese I could make up some "Death sause"! :P
  • Richard Fl
    What if you made some with green food coloring in the white stuff, and called it BGE Sause
  • Zippylip
    Thanks JL, as far as the sauces, if you cannot do yogurt or similar sauce, there really is no suitable substitute, however, the sandwich without the sauce is very good itself, I don't think you would want to put anything hot on this, or red, just go plain & it would be great
    happy in the hut
  • JLOCKHART29
    Well maybe after a few Old Milwalkies it might work!! :laugh:
  • JLOCKHART29
    Can't go wrong with mustard! ;) On a serious note remember our partner tomorrow. Long time till the funeral for us down South but will be a tough day for him. :(
  • Richard Fl
    Are you allergic to the items or just choose not to eat them? Check into some tofu bean curd they have both white and golden and substitute it for the white stuff.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Zip, I've made the Alton Brown recipe about 5 or 6 times now and it always comes out fantastic. Very close to what you get off of those rotating restaurant things. Also if you can find Greek yogurt you won't have to drain it. -RP
  • Zippylip
    I am fortunate enough to be very close by
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Did he do his own meat? If so did it compare to the real thing? I'll have to give that a look
    happy in the hut
  • BENTE
    that is proabably pharmeggist rercepie if it is typed "officially" if if is half a$$ed then it was proabably basic

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    What about Giro cakes/bites? Then topped with peppers and tzatziki or visa versa served on warm pita rounds?
    hmmmmmmmmm :woohoo: Yes, I have been drinkung... :whistle::whistle: PS, they look great!
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • I made gyro meat last weekend too -- based on Alton's recipe. I formed it in an empty round container to shape it, then after setting up in the fridge for a few hours, put on the Egg indirect standing up. I also had problems with the texture and dryness... I think partly this is due to all the tasty fat and juices dripping out of the meat.

I'm thinking that next time I'll cook to within about 5-10 degrees in a bread pan with a foiled brick on top to keep it compressed, then remove to brown up the outside to finish.
  • Zippylip
    I was also thinking, cook it slightly underdone, then slice & toss the strips into a frying pan with some oil & kind of give'm a little fry, may help with the dryness, I see a lot of pizza places do this, slice it off the spit & to the griddle for a couple minutes
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    dude that is not a bad idea, the way this meat starts out would be a natural for a muffin tin, then onto small pita sections with the sauce & onions/tomatoes on top, could be a plan, but I have to work on this meat more, checked out Alton Brown's recipe, a little different than the one I used...
    happy in the hut
  • that looks incredible! i've wanted to try this. i like that smoke ring you got there.

how about using a turkey fryer turkey holder and molding the meat around that? that would simulate the vertical gryo so you could shave off servings. or maybe just mold the meat around metal skewers so you could stand them up to carve?
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    I will ask LC for input. Maybe she will join this tread.
    Nite Gang! yawn yawn... :blink:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Zippylip
    thanks Rick, I need to get a better handle on the texture of this meat, the way it turned out I think if it was on a spit it may have crumbled rather than slicing like the real mccoy. There was a high content of fat in both steaks I started with, but it was still a little on the dry side. I need to work on this, if you have any suggestions it would be appreciated :)
    happy in the hut
  • i was going to use alton brown's recipe and get ground lamb from the fancy grocery. what do you think your fat percentage of the mix was?
  • this would be killer with la bomba and the onions. that's all you need ;)