Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt question

Options
Lake Conroe Egger
Lake Conroe Egger Posts: 285
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm supposed to deliver two butts worth of pulled pork to a function on Sunday a 4pm. Can I do this ahead and reheat the pull for serving or is best done in one fluid motion? Would have to put the things on Sat evening and babysit all night otherwise. But I do want to impress with the best possible product.

Any advice?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I'd do it in one motion.

Put the butts in a cooler and pulled them at the function.

Gives you that OHHHHHHH Factor!!
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    If you ain't got nowhere to be on Saturday, it is easier to cook them overnight and pull and serve in one fell swoop. It don't hurt to do them ahead of time, but why when you dont have to? You'll find that most of your butt cooks will be of the overnight variety. They typically take so long that the timing just works best for overnighters. Once you get the hang of it (and they are easy) you'll find that you don't have to babysit all night. I have gotten to the point that I can sleep comfortably on most cooks for about 6 hours with out having to get up and check on things. I do not use a Guru or anything, I have just gotten to know how my eggs usually perform.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    If timing is an issue then go ahead and cook them. Wrap in saran wrap and cool them down in the fridge. This can be done 2 or 3 days ahead. Heat at 275 in a convection oven for about an hour to an internal temp of 150. Pull at the function. Good luck to ya. Tom
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    cook, then pull, then reheat.

best is to cook and pull and immediately serve if you can transport them hot.

it takes more heat to soften gelatin than it does to make the gelatin from the collagen in the first place. to reheat the whole butt would be a problem
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Got to agree with the rest. No one will go hungry if you pull it, freeze it and reheat BUT it will be better fresh. Not a huge differance but still better.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    that has been my experience also
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    why freeze.?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante