Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket

Options
tursh
tursh Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have a nomex gasket to install is it best to use glue or high temp. silicone. what would you all recommend. thanks for any reply

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Please do yourself a big favor and search the forum for posts on "nomex." There are important details to its installation that must be understood for it to go well. Mark
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Here is your visual, scrub with acetone then shoot w/77:

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Options
    This methods works great!

Did this myself 6 weeks ago.

Like the pictures describe above, mask of the areas you don't want overspray to wander over to.

Takes about an hour.

1) Prep (removing band & top dome, scraping off old gasket, cleaning with acetone, masking off glue areas) which took 30-40 minutes
    2) application of spray adhesive and sticking on the gasket took another 10 minutes. Spray ceramic surface, wait 3 minutes, then apply gasket (don't stretch it). repeat for other dome surface.
    3) Put top dome back on to hold in place. Re-install bands.

Then wait the full 24 hours to cure, do a low heat "empty" cook for an hour. By next day you are back in business.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Looks like I not the only one that killed their gasket.... :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP