Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help

Options
Lake Conroe Egger
Lake Conroe Egger Posts: 285
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a cleaning burn last night after cooking some chickens and now the dome won't open - stuck shut!

I'm afraid of breaking something.

any ideas?

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    I would try a thin blade knife or putty knife. Slip it between the upper and lower felt gasket and work it around slowly until you clear the stuck part.

You still may have to replace the gasket but try that first.

Spring "Been Stuck Before Myself" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Well you are in TX I see, so it is not frozen? But could it have gotten wet and then cold enough to freeze? you can lite some coals and drop them through the top and let them burn awhile to warm and and see if that is it. but I sounds like you might have fused your gasket.
  • Lake Conroe Egger
    Options
    The putty knife worked - now I need a new gasket. Know anybody in the Houston area that might have one in stock?

The good news is that Haven't seen the egg so clean since birth! must have been an inferno in here!

Thanks for the help
  • Lake Conroe Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Mainegg, it did freeze last night but is about 60 now and I did try warming it up with a torch to no avail. You were right, the gaskets were fused. Looking for a new one quick.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I know of this guy in Houston who used to use his eggs all the time, but now we never hear from him.

You could sneak over there in the dead of night and just swap your egg for one of his..

But be careful he can be real mean....

v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v

7.jpg

.o0(and the hooker thinks I am bad)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Ouch :unsure: sorry to hear that. But the bottom one on my large has been gone along time and we do OK just have never gotten around to changing it out. I am very careful about closing it though!
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    You might call John Henry. Seems to me he carries a few Big Green Egg items besides just the Big Green Eggs like some of the dealers.

I need to go down there tomorrow. Might take my large's cast iron grate which has a big split to see if I can do a warranty swap or something.

I sure wish all dealers carried more BGE stuff, especially those items that are covered by warranty.

Spring "Guaranteed For Life" Chicken
  • rolltidefan
    Options
    Call the mothership and get a nomex gasket. $20.00 bucks for the gasket and shipping and its the only place you can get it so I hear. It took 5 days to get it.