Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MINI help or suggestions

EGGLANDS BEST
EGGLANDS BEST Posts: 211
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All

My family just got larger by one... a mini bge has been added to the nest.. :woohoo: my question is what all can be cooked on a mini? i did a couple of brats just to break it in and must admit that there is a difference in cookin on the mini as opposed to cookin on the large 1st of all it uses far less lump ;) than the large 2Nd thing i noticed is that i have to learn to control the temp differently than on the large prolly cause of the smaller size compared to the large so does anyone have any suggestions on what to cook for my 1st OFFICIAL meal on the mini ( the brats don't count) they were just a test

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    I've been waiting to unveil my second slide show:

th_IMG_2474.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • When I got my Mini, the first thing I did was make a raised grid for it so I could have both a raised grid and a vehicle for indirect cooking.

My first cook was a Whole Chicken. I hear you can fit a 4 lb bird in there, mine was 3.69 lb and it was tight.
    Came out great but no pics.

Then my second cook was a +/- 4lb Sirloin Strip Roast. It was a little too long so I foiled the end that was touching the dome.IMG_1422.jpg

The beef was fantastic and the leftovers are almost as good. Nuke them up in the microwave and they almost taste like they just came off the grill.
    IMG_1424.jpg

If these look familiar it's because I just posted them in another thread earlier in the week.
  • Zippy...

Awesome slide show u have there...can you post or send me those recipes i have a lot of things to look foward to now thanks again for that post very helpful and tempting :laugh:
  • Flashback,

What did you use to make the raised grid please advise
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Egg, most things in that show are in the recipe section (numbnutz, cherrybombs, smoke bombs), & everything else can be found with searches (type in lamb or 'giros', polenta, shrimcompenos...), it's all there, have a ball, the mini is so much fun, I use mine now at least 2 nights per week for a family of 4, uses barely any lump & it does just about everything (except low/slows & pizza), congratulations, you will not be disappointed :)
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Zippy,

Thanks again guess i'll ponder on what to cook today :woohoo: off to search the forums for recipes
  • That rocks Zippy - nice show. As a new mini owner, thanks for taking the time to make it.

Can you put music with it? Little theme from 2001 Space Odyssey, or The Entertainer, or maybe a little Zydeco - reggae would work. :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    Hey thats great ,I just love my mini also
    DAve
  • When I bought the Mini, I bought it with an extra grid.

To create the raised grid, I got (3) 1/2" x 2.1/2" carriage bolts, (2) washers and (2) nuts...er...uhhh, I better draw you a picture...
    MiniGrid.jpg

With the nuts on the bottom, it is adjustable so you can raise it higher for two tier cooking or lower it so that you just have enough room for a heat barrier or drip pan (I used aluminum foil folded up at the edges)

Actually, now that I posted it I see it's not exactly right, The washers are tight to the bars, sandwiching them and holding the whole assembly rigid. Hopefully you get the idea.

The Mini is a lot of fun. If it wasn't raining so damn much here I'd be cooking on it again tonight!
  • Flashback....

Just save us both the problems and just send me one :laugh: i think i have the idea i just have to get the supplies and another grid would u happen to have an extra one i could get? thanks again