Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Superbowl Turducken pictures

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_17.jpg
<p />Hey all, I promised I would post shots of my Superbowl Turducken. Here they are, annotated to cover the process. It was a *lot* of work, but delicious.[p]
-Skooter

[ul][li]Turducken Pics[/ul]

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Steve:[p]Thanks for the pictorial. Did you find that 175º internal resulted in birds that were a little dry? In retrospect, anything you would have done different?
  • char buddy
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]yeah, I had the same question. [p]When I brine a regular chicken, I find that 175in the breast is right at the border of too dry.
    Given all the brining and stuffing you did, how did 175º turn out.[p]Looks like a superparty. Great pics. [p]

• Skooter, since I am naive...does the combined meats take on some joint flavor, hence the benefit of the hassle, or does each part stay with it's own taste? Does the duck still taste greasy or does the turkey and chicken absorb the grease?

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Skooter,
    You're a far better cook, far more ambitious than I. I'm fortunate in if I want one, I live about 10 minutes from the butcher shop that creates them for John Madden! Looks like you and your guests enjoyed your efforts! Thanks for the pics!

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    kat:[p]If I read correctly, the duck was relieved of its skin and that is where most of the fat is. I too would be interested to know just how much residual fat there was.
  • Mike McQ
    Options
    Skooter,
    Quite the ambitious endeavor! Looks like you pulled it off beautifully. Thanks for making & posting the step by step URL. Bookmarked for some future way ambitious weekend of my own:) Maybe I'll really throw the family for a loop next Thanksgiving. This year I did a Turkey Day *change up* by preparing Hawaiian Luau Turkey, but that Turducken takes it up a whole couple more knotches! Outstanding.

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Tippin my hat to ya skooter.[p]Simply wonderful post. Great pictures and explanation along the interesting journey.[p]Great job to you and your knife wielding friends.[p]Mick
  • char buddy,[p]Since there was so much opportunity for cross-contamination I decided to go a little higher than my usual *165 breast temp. Remember, this was a solid, boneless mass of meat and stuffing. I was worried about drying out the meat, but two things were in my favor- I had brined the birds so I had a safety buffer, and the moistness of the stuffing kept everything tender and juicy.[p]All three layers (I was particularly worried about the turkey, since it was on the outside) were perfectly cooked.[p]My one regret is that I didn't start cooking soon enough. It took about 2 hours longer than I had anticipated, and people were hungry! I just couldn't drag myself out of bed at 5 AM.[p]-Skooter
  • MickeyT,[p]Thanks for the kind words. I've been gleaning so much information from these boards it's my pleasure to give some back.[p]-Skooter
  • Mike McQ,[p]I'm glad you enjoyed the site. It was a fun project, and I would recommend you try it- just make sure you have help![p]At some point I'll add my stuffing recipes to the page. The dirty rice and cornbread stuffings were also a big hit.[p]-Skooter

• djm5x9,[p]We left the skin on the duck, but just about all of the fat rendered out through the bottom seam during the long cooking time. It kept the inside nice and moist, and the flavors of the birds blended beautifully with the stuffing.[p]If I did it again I'd probably still leave the skin on.[p]-Skooter

• Shelby,[p]It was easier than I thought it would be- it's just very time consuming and definitely a two-man job.[p]The benefit of doing it yourself is the *amazing* stock you can make out of the turkey, chicken and duck bones.[p]-Skooter