Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Questions for you guys/gals......

Options
Joel Ferman
Joel Ferman Posts: 243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
#1) How do you suggest I go about making tamales on my egg?[p]#2) What should I cook my girl for valentines day? I am thinking I might want to shy away from slabs of meat :-(
-Joel

Comments

• Joel Ferman
    Options
    P1310069.JPG
    <p />Oh, btw I posted a few weeks ago about birds, and I ended up buying a green parakeet and named him Hulk...

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Joel:[p]Careful what you post here . . . You may get a recipe!
    [/b]
  • Joel Ferman,
    From my experience those don't really taste all that good.[p]

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Joel Ferman,[p]No help on what to cook for the main meal, but here is what I serve my girlfriends for Valentines day.[p]Often referrred to as Chocolate Lava Cake in restaurants,, this dish is sure to please any gal who loves her chocolate.[p]Stogie[p]Petite Gateau [p]1/2 cup Butter, unsalted
    4 ounce(s) Bittersweet chocolate
    2 Egg(s)
    2 Egg yolk(s)
    1/4 cup Sugar
    2 tablespoon(s) Flour, all-purpose[p]PREPARATION:
    Butter and flour custard cups or specialty molds. I use a heart for Valentines Day and Xmas ones for the Holiday's. These will usually hold a couple ounces and this recipe will make about 4-5 of them.
    Preheat oven to 450º. Melt the butter and chocolate, but do not let it boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
    Beat together the 2 eggs plus 2 yolks and the sugar, until it's light and thick. I used a wire wisk for about 5 minutes.
    Pour the now tepid chocolate mixture into the egg mixture, and beat to mix.
    Quickly beat in the flour until just mixed in.
    Pour into the custard cups. (At this point you can refrigerate for up to 24 hours. If you refrigerate, let return to room temp before you bake.) Put custard cups on a baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 6-7 minutes. The outside will be set up, but the top may still be slightly wiggly (technical French cooking term).
    Invert on plate, let sit for 10 seconds or so, remove custard cup.
    Sprinkle with powdered sugar, and surround with a fruit sauce of your choice.

• Joel Ferman,[p]Spatchcock Parakeet?[p]I recommend direct on a raised grill.[p]Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes or so.

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    Tamales? You got me on that one. I can't even get 'em to turn out well in the kitchen, much less on the Egg. But if you DO get an answer to that, please share it.[p]As for Valentine's Day, how about roasted cornish game hens? Classy but it won't bust your budget. My girlfriend in college always loved 'em. Put her in a very romantic mood. (Hope my wife doesn't see this -- grin!)[p]HTH[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    Budget? What budget?[p]Cornish hens would be a good one. Then again, if it were me...and I were Joel LOL...I would serve up a couple of dem monster lobster tails like he whipped up the other day.[p]Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I'm with you, NB. I'd go with tails, Egged oysters, steamed asparagus, and pilaf. Check with Hammer for the wine, but champagne's always in fashion for Valentine's.
    Ken

• Cornbread Willy
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    how do you egg oysters? that sounds like a good app. for the V-day celebration...[p]Thanks!

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I assume you are talking about unshucked oysters. I do them all the time here as appetizers. I just load up the grid with the cleaned oysters and cook at 350° direct until they crack open slightly. You can cook to any degree of doneness you like and any smoke you like. You can also do shucked oysters in a foil pan, although I prefer them in the shell.[p]Jim
  • SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Options
    JSlot,[p]I do the same thing, but with a wet cloth draped over them. Of course, I need to try that with the egg.....

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Joel Ferman, as to #1 about tamales. No benefit to making on the BGE. Tamales are cooked by steaming in a large pot. You could take a tamale that is already cooked and re-heat on the egg; it might take on a little smoke flavor. Usually, though, tamales are either re-steamed or, my favorite, fried(after taking off the husk)in a skillet.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    SSDawg,[p]No need for the cloth on the Egg. You are actually roasting the oysters, not steaming them as you would at a traditional oyster "roast". LOL.[p]Jim
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    JSlot,
    I should have specified unshucked. Thanks for the amplification. I've got a recipe somewhere that calls for shucking the oysters and returning each to his or her shell, then topping with a roasted chili.
    If I can find some good ones, I think I'll do that for V. Day.
    Ken

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Joel Ferman,[p]Not sure about the tamales, but nothing says "I love you" like some Taco Bell and a 40oz of Olde English malt liquor in a paper bag.[p]Awwwww yeah,
    Cornfed

• Joel Ferman,[p]test
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Yeah, I was going to ask you. Is that green bird a duck? You cook duck, don't you? :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz