Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork medalions - red meat!

Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went out to a fancy shmancy resturant last night for diner (the other couple paid so I am a REAL Happy guy), I had pork medalions and the waitress asked, "How do you want it cooked"? I felt like saying, "It's pork, cook it till it's done, but no more" but I said med-well. She said, "past medium it starts to dry out", so I said, "then make it medium". I have never been asked about how done I wanted pork before. Is this new?? It is to me. The guy next to me ordered his medium rare, and when she set his down it looked just like tuna - whiteish on the edges and a big red middle. Mine was more whiteish but still very red in the center. I was pretty shocked, but I ate it figuring I would be on the porceline throne all day today. Not the case I am happy to say! It was good, moist and tender but I wish I had my trusty Thermapen with me to check what the meat temp was, I have never seen or eaten red pork before (they call it the other "white" meat for a reason). I am alive and well today (sorry, some will be upset by that) but I was wondering if the word is out that pork doesn't have to cook to 170° anymore. I still can't get use to eating red pork though. Anybody else ever eaten red pork?[p]Oh, let me mention that I will soon be cooking pork on my small egg - that makes the post legal.[p]Tim

Comments

• Tim M,
    Never have I done that. As a joke, I always ask new guests at my house "how do you like your chicken done"? Some of the responses are funny. Some are worried but I assure them I know what I'm doing.[p]CWM

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Tim M,[p]I guess I typically cook pork tenderloins to only 145 or so before pulling them off the Egg--they probably rise to about 150 before I slice them. They're usually not white at all in the center--sometimes quite juicy and pinkish, but delicious, and I haven't gotten sick yet. A couple of people on this forum suggested I pull at 145--the first time I did this and sliced and saw all the pink I was a bit concerned, but I haven't had any complaints so far . . .[p]TRex
  • Tim M, I have been cooking pork a long time, long before I even knew what a BGE was. I have always wanted my pork and chicken done, no pink juice. I know that it is easy to dry pork out, but as long as you don't over do it to bad thats where the good sauce comes in. I think the temp. probe is the best way. Super Bowl Sunday, I served some pork tenderloin that was a shade pink, but as fast as I could it up it was gone. I had some myself with no ill efects. I will be curious to hear what others think.[p]Hugh, "Sitting on The Dock of The Woods"

• TRex,
    They raise pork different than the 'old days'. No need to worry about 'trich' and other diseases. Eat it PINK! Lessen's you don't trust the producer.......... ;)

• Buford, I've heard the same thing awhile back. I have been cooking my tenderloin type pork cuts to the pink (no red) stage and it is juicier, and I haven't suffered any illness.

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Tim M,[p]Pink pork is perfectly fine. Hogs are raised MUCH differently today(cleanliness) than in the past. Trichinosis is very rare because of this.[p]According to the Pork Council, Trichinae is killed at 137º, so any temp above that is OK. I cook my pork to about 140º and let it rest for a couple of minutes. The inside will usually be a very light pink. Even at temps around 145-150º, the inside is still light pink.[p]I always use a thermo to check the temp, even though my cooking times are always within a few minutes of past cooks.[p]Stogie
  • Tim M
    Dock of The Woods,[p]Thanks. This pork was not a shade pink! It was like tuna - white outsides and DEEP red middle!! Very red - no pink at all. [p]I am alive today so I guess it's ok, but it was an eye opener.[p]Tim
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Stogie,
    Well put. Pigs are raised much different than in the past. The very reason you do not have to cook pork until everything is dead, including juices and the taste. Pull at 140* and look at the bright side... you have rediscovered pork. Now go back and redo all you recipes, you'll be amazed at how much better they are....
    Cheers

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Tim M,[p]I hate to give you a real answer but here goes.[p]I regularly cook at the World Pork Expo cookoff. They Pork people require us to bring our hogs to 137 degrees internal temp. That is the temp at which Trichinosis would be killed if any hog actually carried it.[p]But here's the thing, 137 degree pork is much pinker than most people are comfortable eating. To have the pork look done to these people it is way beyond 137 degrees.[p]Now red tuna looking pork is a new one on me and probably less than the 137 degrees, but I'd eat it. When's the last time you heard of anyone getting Trichinosis?[p]Any lids fall off lately?[p]
    [/b]
  • Stogie,Veeery intha-resting. Guess I,m just old school. Maybe it,s not to late for you folks to teach this old dog some new tricks. I,m cooking some pork tenderloins this coming weekend for some friends, will see how it turns out.[p]Thanks for the info
    Hugh, "Sitting on The Dock Of The Woods"

• Tim M,
    You are the nerd of all nerds! I can totally see you with your wife and friends in a classy resturant, breaking out your florescent thermapen and informing the waitress the pork was 3 degrees under the Federal standard...... :-)
    -Joel

• Joel Ferman,
    Why is he a nerd? Because he is concerned about the food he eats?

• Tim M
    Huevos Grande,[p]Thanks. It was red, not pink except near the edges where it was whiteish. [p]My lids don't fall off. [p]
    Gracias Cuidar el Huevo

• Tim M
    Joel Ferman,[p]Thanks joel. Actually my Thermapen is gray - easy to use in a resturant without causing attention(should I ever really want to do that), I would like to have a floresent one though.[p]You calling me names is like the pot calling the kettle black. I have never been called a nerd before - you have a first there with that one. You will enjoy maturity, it will amaze you when it finally comes to you.[p]Tim[p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Tim:[p]Double black kettle! Awaiting that day yourself Tim?
    [/b]
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    You two should really considered doing a vaudeville act together.[p]I can't, for the life of me, imagine who would be the straight man, tho.[p]Heeeee!
  • Tim M
    djm5x9,[p]Always nice to see you showing a need for some as well Darryl.[p]Tim
  • SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    djm5x9,[p]Sorry I didn't get a cance to meet up with you this weekend. I had to make a trip to Augusta at the last minute, and didn't have time to shoot you an email. Let me know how this weekend looks for you so I can get you that bag of lump.