Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Coffee roaster for egg (what-ya think?)

Options
Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been trying to figure out the best method for roasting coffee beans on the egg....

When I ran across this link:
http://www.wisconsinmade.com/gift-ideas/Blue-Moon-Pottery-Coffee-Roaster-Green-Coffee-Beans-2508.aspx?DepartmentId=1232#

What do you think about this product? Honestly, should I give it a try? Or as my wife says have I lost my mind and common sense with my obsession of my EGGs' :blush:

Comments

• Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    For $39.99 +S/H you can get a lot of really good roasted coffee and with the time you'll save plan your next charred animal flesh feast! ;)
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    She is correct (as is my wife's opinion)
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    I think this falls into the category of things that you can do, but that doesn't make doing them a good idea.

Bean roasting requires good temp control. Five or ten degrees variation is a big deal. That degree of temp control is asking a lot from an Egg. My current roast recipe is a city roast: 17 minutes at 482ºF using a digital roaster with constant convection, tumbling, and draft cooldown. As geeky as that sounds, serious coffeehounds get way more elaborate than that.

Speaking of tumbling, some sort of agitation and chaff removal is helpful when roasting. It's hard to do that with the Egg's lid closed, and if it's not closed the temp variation is increased.

Also, coffee roasting requires listening for the first and second cracks. They sound something like toothpicks snapping, or Rice Krispies just after you've poured on the milk. I'm not sure how well you could hear this in an Egg.

But hey, give it a try...but there's no reason you couldn't do it just as well in a plain old cast iron skillet or Dutch oven with Pyrex inside, and avoid buying the unitasker gadget. I've had a few cups of camp coffee made with boiled grounds in a tin can, the results couldn't be worse than that! :P
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Dave..lemme guess. You have a Gene Cafe? 17 comes out a little too dark for me on some of the milder beans like Costa Rica and even on some of the more exotics like my Sulawesi/Sumatra mix for moka java. But is absolutely great for espresso (try the Tanzania Peaberry or Espresso Monkey from sweetmarias.com).

Do you really listen for the pops? I set it at the time I know for that blend and let it fly. I'll have to start pop listening and see if I can get it tuned a little finer but wonder if I could tell the difference.

As far as the egg...good for a camping trip maybe? But as a regular thing, nah.