Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crab

Options
Aron
Aron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a live rock crab that I just picked up at the fish market (couldn't resist since I was getting some salmon). How would I prepare this for the egg? I don't want to just place it live on the grill, since that'd be mean. If I put it in boiling water for a bit to kill it quick and then on the grill, I was thinking at around 250 direct, would that be ok? How long at that temperature (crab is about 1.25 lbs)?[p]Aron

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Aron,[p]I've used a recipe from my Weber's "Fish and Shellfish" cookbook only twice but with good success. It adapts nicely to the Egg.[p]Bring a large pan of water to a rapid boil and plunge crab headfirst into water. When water returns to a boil, reduce heat and simmer JUST 5 minutes.[p]Remove and allow to cool briefly. Pull off and discard triangular belly tab and lift off shell from the rear. Save shell for presentation at serving time, if desired. Pull off and discard red membrane with entrails on body and soft gills.[p]The recipe calls for "direct kettle" cooking which equates to grilling on the Egg at 400-450°. It should take about 6-8 minutes (turning once) until meat in leg is opaque - crack open to test. Brush with your favorite seafood grilling sauce during the cook.[p]K~G

• Aron,
    Just recently I moved to MD. Went crabbing with my neighbor back in October. He asked me to cook some on my large egg. Posted about it...but nobody replied. Took the live crabs and dunked them in a solution of Old Bay, olive oil, and beer. Threw 'em on the egg. Regarding your statement about being mean...you're killing them and then eating them anyway...what could be meaner than that????? Next thing I knew...the daisy wheel opens up and these very pissed off crabs come crawling out saying all sorts of very nasty stuff. They went straight for my...oh, sorry, got carried away. The crabs died pretty quickly and my friend said they were much better than his steamed crabs.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Scott Hoots,[p]So they turned out good? Sorry I missed your initial post. I think dousing them in Old Bay, beer and oil did them in long before they hit the flame.[p]I've been wanting to do crabs... what were your times and temps?[p]Thanks and Beers![p]John

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    This isn't meant as a 'joke' post, but I thought I'd heard something about crabs and alcohol...thought I'd heard it 'paralyzes' 'em or hypnotizes them or something...LOL
    Anyone in the crab belt got any clarification on this......?
    Qfan

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]Like you, mang, I'm all ears.
    Throw me in a vat of alcohol and I think I'd be both hypnotized and paralyzed... but I aint no crab if'n your with me and all, ..... just waiting for my ribs to be done.
    Watchoo got cookin tonight?
    And please, no photos of you in the buff! :~)[p]WD~39[p]

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Options
    Aron,[p]I know this is probably too late, but if you place the crab in room temperature/slightly warn water, he'll drift right off to sleep. Do that, then toss him on the egg.[p]I've mever seen anyone on the Bay do it any differently.