Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Air Flow?

Options
JK
JK Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

When using the plate setter for "indirect, lo n slo" cooks. I have a problem keeping the wood smoking at the desired 225* (here in the south we like LOTS of hickory smoke flavor in our pig meat). If I open the vents and let it go to almost 250* then it starts to smoke again. Do those of you who use the bricks encounter the same problem or is there better air flow? I read the grill cover everytime I use it "World's Best Smoker" and wonder what I can do differently. Thanks.

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    jk:[p]Have you tried your low and slow cooks direct?
    [/b]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    j.k.,[p]Explain a little more. Smoking under 225 seems to be stopped but if you go to a dome temp of 250 it smokes again. Is that the question/problem? [p]I have seen this, I have always assumed that it is simple physics. To burn wood you need fuel, heat and oxygen. When you remove or reduce any one of the three then burning is halted and smoking occures. If any of the three is further reduced, then smoking stops too. I get more smoking from a 250 fire than a 200 deg fire and I assume it is because the conditions for the wood chunks to smoke have been compromised at the low temp. Just raise the temp and get the smoke you want. Avoid going over 350 or you will have so much heat that the wood will now burn.[p]Does this help at all? If not you may need to be more specific with your question.[p]Tim