Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium BGE

Buckdodger
Buckdodger Posts: 957
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help with the avg selling price of a med egg. The reason I'm asking is my fishing buddies next door neighbor has a med egg sitting on his deck that appears neglected. :angry: IOW he never uses it and says he hates it because its too much trbl to get it started, loves his gasser. He got it as a gift from his significant other and If I can get in touch with him I want to make an offer.( He is in construction and is out of town for weeks at a time) I noticed the bottom vent is open and neither the daisy or ceramic top is on the egg and it is not covered. His property is locked so I won't trespass to get a closer look. Could there be too much internal damage from moisture and would it be worth persueing ??? Thanks.
Bob
Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama

Comments

• $499.95 is msrp for egg with daisy, ceramic top and porelain gate.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    549 delivered price from hearthside, no nest. depends on condition, if good maybe 250 would be fair, it wont be warranteed, but if he is the origional owner he should be able to get replacement parts before he sells it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thanks for the help with the price tag...If C W is awake maybe he can help with the rest of the query !!
    Bob
    Alex City, Al ;)

Opelika, Alabama
  • fishlessman...thanks for the heads up on the warrenty issue...didn't think of that.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    The inside can be cleaned with a good fire after any internal big chunk mess is cleaned out.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Unless it's trashed, 250 would be a bargain. I've been offered $400 for mine with nest.

Depending on age, the areas to watch are the hinge assembly and the draft door. The old steel draft doors were a corrosion point. Still, if you had to replace it it's not terribly expensive and a snap to replace.

Offer him $250 --- maybe he'll jump at the chance.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Sounds like its been sitting out for awhile, if he's gone for weeks. Other than a rusty bottom grate, the only thing I'd look carefully for is cracking from ice down at the bottom if you live where that would be a problem. Look from the bottom as well as the inside. I, too, think 250 would be good, and might go 300 if everything else has no problems.
  • Thanks to all for the quick replies...Bob

Opelika, Alabama
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Make him an low ball offer. Offer to smoke him some PP or BB on occasion. Good luck to you. He may just want to get rid of it off his deck. Tom
  • Tom...funny you should mention that. my fishin' buddy demanded that if I "stole" the egg from his neighbor he would expect nothing less that a 12 lb butt for his reward....Bob ;)

Opelika, Alabama
  • I have a better idea. Tell him that eggs left for a long while without cooking can become moldy. Would he allow you to bring the egg to your place, fire it up periodically and keep it ready for him.

You can use it for a while, he won't miss it and in 6 months, give him a call and ask if you can mail him a $100 check and just keep the egg.
  • Gene....sounds like a great strategy to me. He has this egg in a table he made from non treated wood. From what I can see from the road it ain't gonna last very long. Hopefully we can make a deal sooner or later. :woohoo:
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    If the ceramic top isn't on the Egg, and if the Egg has had water in it -- freezing -- be sure to check for cracks down low.

If you get the Egg, be sure to give it an opportunity to dry out thoroughly, as the ceramic interior is porous. I'm no expert, but if there's no damage to the ceramic, once it dries out, it should be good-as-new.

The gasket doesn't count [easily replaceable], but be sure to check hinge assembly. Standing outside for years won't really hurt the egg. If you see "crackling" on the surface -- no big deal. That's normal.

We won't tell him that any kind of a propane torch starts the lump "right quick-like," seein' as that's his complaint.

Good Luck!

~ Broc
  • Broc...I think this guy wasn't home long enuf to learn how to use this Egg. Freezing temps not a problem here...and the bottom vent is open allowing water to exit the ash removale door. Thanks...Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • I paid $200 for my medium with CI top (no ceramic), nest, extra fire bricks, and a bag of lump.

Bruce
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Where did you steal that? :)
  • A guy in town had it in the paper for $300. Knowing that most people didn't know what it was I let is sit for a few days and then made him an offer. I see him occasionally and he'll ask me, almost mockingly, if I'm still enjoying it. When I tell him how the family is growning he just looks shocked! lol

BD