Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WGC Weekend Warrior

Options
Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a bag of this stuff several weeks ago, but haven't used it. Cooking some butts tonite so I'm going to try it out. I cleaned the egg out real good and started filling the firebox w/ the WGC. Those are some big chunks of lump! Looked like they cut down a phone pole! Seriously, I pulled at least 4 chunks out that I thought were too big. At least they would take up too much room in the firebox. Lots of stuff is very round and smooth, like round stock. Found one piece of nylon string, but no other junk. I plan on using my chimney to get it started (filled w/ Royal Oak since I read this stuff might me a little harder to light. I'll spread the hot coals over the rest of the WGC and see how long it takes to get a good fire going. Wish me luck and hope the fire lasts all nite. I really don't want to have to get up and tend it (gonna be COLD tonite).

Comments

• chefreyguy12
    Options
    its the best stuff there is, stabilize your temp and forget about it!!!
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    NEVER had a fire go out when I loaded the Egg correctly using WGC.

Nothing else in my shed except WGC!
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    I buy this stuff by the pallet. It has some pieces so large I wump'em with a sledge so the smaller pieces will fit in the egg. While it is a bit harder to light than some, a mapp gas torch will get it going pretty well if one lights it in three or four places.
    Good luck with your cook.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Have had no problems with it...usually use paper towl in oil method. Light two with a few smaller pieces on top, gets going no problem....

Like Sundown I now use this exclusively...found a local coal and ice place that carries it year round. A little expensive but worth the money.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    add a little more smoking wood than you might normally, its a very mild lump. never found a lump that didnt easily light with my weedburner B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Herre is what I think of it....

IMG_1355.jpg
    Nuff said.
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    I added a bunch more hickory than I usually do. Stuck chunks of it all around and in the middle of the lump. Good to know since I did this on a whim.
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    Well, I filled the egg up to the top of the fire ring with WGC, just poured it in and spread it out w/ my hands. No special laying out of the lump. Filled the chimney w/ Royal Oak and lit it top and bottom w/ MAPP. Dumped it out when flaming all over and spread it over the WGC. Put the spider in and had to do some shifting around of some chunks so it would fit. Loaded the adjustable rig (small grid on bottom rack, lg grid on top) and pizza stone on top. Let dome get to 250* and sit for 15-20 minutes. Removed rig and shoved the hickory in the lump, stone on spider, rig in place w/ drip pan (w/ cheap beer) on lower grid, meat on top grid (highest rig setting). Dome temp dropped to 150*. Ended up opening lower draft fully, no DFMT. Took almost an hour to get back to 250*. Closed lower to nickel width, DFMT on: slider closed, Daisy open full petal. Temp been dropping ever since. This is almost two hours since putting meat on. I have opened the lower draft all the way and can see the whole grate lit up bright orange. Wiggle rod to each hole: no obstruction. Temp still dropping. Lower draft opened to double nickel width. Ideas to keep temp up to 250*? Hate to keep chasing it, but can't imagine why with the drafts set like this I can't hold temp.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    we do the pallet too with it. And have to whack a few logs here and there. but it sure burns nice ;0
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    Get your minds out of the gutter. After sitting here nursing my Capt. Morgan and hot cider, I got to thinking that my dome probe might be touching my meat. So I slipped off the DFMT and took a peak w/ a flash light. Just barely touching. Adjusted that little springy thing that comes w/ the probe so that the tip is just about a half inch away from the meat. Dome temp now 275*. Closed the lower draft to nickel width and Daisy a half petal. Hope things settle down, but looks like that WGC will make for a good cook.
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    I bought my first bag of Weekend Warrior last weekend with the specific purpose of doing pulled pork. My observations of the lump were similar to yours. Some of the pieces felt really dense, and I set a couple aside as being too big. I sorted and carefully built my fire. The lump caught easily and I quickly stabilized to 230 F. It kept steady for five hours until I went to bed at 1 am. I awoke at seven to find the temp had dropped to about 170 F. I didn't think the meat had been in the danger zone long enough, so I quickly moved the meat to my convection oven while I worked on the lump. I found that it had burned straight down and was pretty used up in the center. I simply pushed the unburned lump from the edges to the center and got it back to about 240 F where it remained rock steady for another 10 hours. The total time of cook was 22 hours. The results were outstanding, and I'm chalking up the temperature drop to a less than ideal fire build on my part. I'll certainly use Weekend Warrior for longer cooks, but will stick to Royal Oak for day-to-day use.

How were your final results?
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    I had one more temp drop earlier in the evening (probe not touching meat this time). I opened draft door and removed DFMT. Used the wiggle rod and got fire up again. Reset my drafts and temp went back to 270*. Didn't want to mess with it anymore, so left everything the as it was. Went to bed at 2AM. Brought remote temp to bed to monitor meat temp, since I was sure dome would stay in a reasonable range. At 7AM the meat was 188*. Went downstairs and dome down to 240*. Wiggle rodded again and got dome to 310*. Meat hit 200* (both of them at same time!) at 8:15AM. Total cook time for 15# total weight was 15hr 45min. They are foiled, toweled, and resting in cooler. Bringing them to work in the next few minutes.
    Took all my grids and stuff down and took a look at the lump. Burned evenly all around, down about 2 inches from where I filled it. Not much ash. I think a more carefully laid out lump would have kept things even heat w/o having to tend it so much. Also, I think the second temp drop (down to 230* or so) occured as meat started to plateau. Don't know if this contributed to the drop or not. All in all, some good, long burning lump. I'll report back later after tasting it.
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    Some pretty good pork, although a little dry. Probably 'cause I let temp get too high. Excellent bark (I cut the fat cap off so I had plenty). No complaints from the staff we cooked for. Next time I will lay out some lump on the bottom of the firebox before just pouring in enough to fill it up. I think I will get more of this WGC, especially for lo and slo, but stick to some cheaper RO for everyday cooking.
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Options
    I love this stuff!

But still trying to find a "local" distributer in Southern California. I didn't pay enough attention when I ordered my three 22 lb bags online to test it out. I somehow missed how much the total shipping was until I re-read my bill later :pinch:

Can't see me slipping a whole palat full past my accountant/wife, then again, I can't store more than a quarter, to a third of a palat anyway.
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    Wicked Good is good stuff! I've been using it since I bought it for the Az Eggfest and have found the pieces to be larger and denser than BGE or Royal Oak. It also takes longer to get to temp but has less smoke than the others I have used. As far as ash I think it compares to Royal/BGE.