Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thermometer

Options
kansasgal
kansasgal Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help! I need a good, reliable, remote thermometer. I just purchased one from Williams Sonoma and it didn't register correctly so it is going back tomorrow. Before that I had one that I purchased from a pool and grill store and it also was not reliable. It quit on us in the middle of smoking our Thanksgiving turkey. It's getting expensive guessing if the thermometer is a good one or not so I'm hoping to get some advice on a good thermometer to purchase. Thanks.

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    I've had a couple of cheap Acu-Rite digitals I got from Walmart for going on two years now. They're pretty accurate (within 2*) and reliable enough to have been used on dozens of cooks. They were all of about $13 each.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I've had the ones from WS and they were just fone, youmay have gotten an bad one. They are mostly identical in style from other brands. You may try a redi check (same thing). I have 2 and they work very well for the price.
  • Gandy Dancer
    Options
    I have the Maverick model # ET-73. I like it and easy to work. This is there home link.

Leo
    Williston, FL
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Hey Kansas! Just signed on and saw your post and the replies. Give their suggestions a shot! Honestly, in my experience, I have NEVER been successful with remote thermometers. We've had Williams Sonoma, Sharper Image, and even tried from Bed Bath & Beyond. None has ever lasted more than 4 weeks. (Even bought several for my Mom, and she had the same problems) I have reverted back to my good old pyrex (probe in roast, and thermo reader on outside) more than any other. It has never quit on me, and has been super accurate. No, it's not a remote 'talk to me' thermo, but it works great. Paired with the BBQ Gurus egg fan, it's been perfect. Sooo... we may have to walk a few extra steps. Just my 2 cents! :)
  • East Bay Al
    Options
    I'm researching this for Christmas gift suggestions. The Nov.08 Consumer Reports mag (pg 10) has a review of t-stats both instant and leave in. Their top rated leave in is the Polder THM-360, at around $30.