Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A hammer, a ziplock bag and whole black pepper...

Nu-Guy
Nu-Guy Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm fessin' up guys. This is how I made my cracked black pepper. Now please tell me how civilzed people get cracked black pepper. I didn't find it at the store.

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Nu-Guy,[p]Might try a pepper grinder next time. It prevents sore thumbs :~)

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Salt_Pepper.jpg
    <p />Nu-Guy, if you haven't got em, it's time to go get them. The little one is a salt mill to go with the pepper grinder.

• Nu-Guy

Bob,[p]Technolegy..... What a country![p]

• Grumpa
    Gfw,[p]Where did you come by that set? My wife just walked by as your post appeared on my screen and had a fit over them. She wants a pair just like that.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Bob, they aren’t really a set - but they are similar and I think made by the same company - and they work great - we just about thrown out all the regular salt shakers - if you really have an interest send me a message off post and I'll send you the name of the manufacturer in the next few days.[p]
  • Nu-Guy
    Gfw,
    Kool picture. With a tool like that, I won't have use a toothpick to remove all that cracked pepper between my teeth! [p]

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Bob,[p]Most cooking stores will have both salt and peper mills, and they are great. Saly must go in a salt mill (different grinder). I found mine at "William Sanoma".[p]
  • Grumpa
    Smokey,[p]Thanks, I'll check them out.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Get on cooking.com and check for the pepper mill that looks like an acrylic rabbit with large black ears. It has an adjustable gear in the bottom so you can control the coarseness of the pepper. There is a salt mill (with white ears instead) to go with it. They only require one hand which turns out to be a plus many times.
  • PEPPERMILL.JPG
    <p />Nu-Guy, this is a battery powered electric one. Just add a couple of hands full of peppercorns and push the little button on top. It grinds it perfectly and there's even a little light on the bottom so you can see exactly how much pepper you're laying down. Now this aint no product comparison or nuttin like that. But if you use as much pepper as I do,, the manual type will give you corporal-punishment-syndrome.

• King-O-Coals, and pardon the mess. I had just finished fixing some ginger fried shrimp. The wife hasn't made her pass through the disaster area yet.

• Nu-Guy
    King-O-Coals,
    Man, this likes some'n you picked up on a trip to New York City! Talk about class. What is the difference between a peppercorn and a tellicherry?

• Nu-Guy
    MollyShark,
    Thanks for the info Molly. Did ya check out the King's post. He's got a battery powered one. Not sure if he had trouble when the Y2K bug came 'round. That would have been a bummer. 'Course he could used a hammer, ziplock bag a hand full peppers.

• Nu-Guy, I think a tellicherry is another breed of pepper. They are either larger or smaller than whole black pepper but I'm not sure which. I have just found these electric models in my commercial cooking store too. They have white or black,, I guess to go with your kitchen decor.. I love mine. I gave a bunch of them out for Christmas presents and everybody who got one uses it daily. Pretty neat.

• Nu-Guy
    King-O-Coals,
    Super, I'll be getting one first of the week. I can't wait 'til Christmas!

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Nu-Guy,
    It apppears that by now you know more about peppermills than you'd ever dreamed. My personal favorite, from Nantucket, is called a Peppergun. It can be used with one hand while you are turning meat with the other. The grind is adjustable and a mill for coarse salt is available as well. Bone appétit! JCA (www.peppergun.com)

[ul][li]Peppergun[/ul]
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    King-O-Coals,[p] Well, now you'v done it. After i saw your picture, i went
    out & bought one black & one white. The white, i filled up
    with sea salt. Not a bad price, $29.95 Canadian, that's
    like $17.00 US for each grinder.
    Thanks[p] Earl

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    King-O-Coals,
    Yo King,
    What is the brand of your electric and where could I get one?
    My black peper usage is in the pounds category and hand cranking is old fast. For rubs I use my Braun coffe grinder but I add alot in finishing.
    Thanks
    DTM

• DTM, mine is from Chef Specialties. The link below has a chrome model, but I can't find my black one. They are showing up everywhere. Call around at some cooking supply outlets near you, or search the web. This link also has a list of specialty peppers.. Good luck.

[ul][li]http://chefspecialties.com/[/ul]