Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatch **** chicken recipe help...

Options
Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have the inlaws coming this weekend. Grampy wanted pulled pork, but just did PP last weekend [ he missed it and no left overs :( ]and 2nd choice is chicken. I have a medium BGE. Can I do 2 chickens butterflied on a medium? or will I need to butterfly and split into 4ths?[p]On the recipe page under 'drop dead spatchcock', it says 350 for about 50 minutes, turning after 25 minutes... Is this direct? with regular grill or raised grill? plate setter/indirect?[p]I would appreciate some suggestions and help for time, temps & set ups.[p]Banker John

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Banker John:[p]One of the benefits of butterflying and grilling birds is that the breast is intact and stays much more moist than if the birds were halved. The times and temperatures are about right and I would cook direct on the upper grill if possible.
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Banker John,[p]I do my spatchcocked chickens at 350° direct for 50-60 min. with the bone side down, then flip and do the skin side for 20-30 min. Lately, my guests have been raving over the Montreal Chicken Seasoning coating that I use. Really good stuff, and it always adds a layer flavor if you add sauce at the end, too.[p]Jim
  • Banker John
    Options
    djm5x9,
    When you say, upper grill what do you mean?[p]I have a second grate with 4" bolts and a large washer on it so the grate is about the same level as the rim of the egg.[p]Is this what you mean by 'upper grill?'[p]If you have a duck picture with an 'upper grill' pleawse share it so I know what you mean. I'm pretty sure we are thinking the same thing

• djm5x9
    Options
    Banker John:[p]Using that second grill with the 4" bolts will work just fine. A little further from the fire making the direct cook a little easier.[p]I use the upper grill for long low and slow cooks (duck, ribs, butts) to take advantage of the upper dome convection activity.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Banker John,
    I need to modify my recipe. Sigh. I do them 350 for 1 hour. I do them direct on a raised grid. I turn them halfway through unless I am feeling lazy. You won't be disappointed if you don't turn them. I like Montreal Steak Seasoning on mine. Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin is good, as is John Henry's Pecan Rub.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • JSlot
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]Please elaborate on why you say the raised grid "makes the direct cook a little easier"? I have always had great results with the bird on the main grid. With the fire at 325-350°, flare ups have not been an issue for me. I'm just curious as to why the raised grid makes much difference. And yes, I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a grill extender. LOL![p]Jim
  • djm5x9
    Options
    JSlot:[p]With a full grill of food I find that elevating the grid from the fire as Banker John does I get more even cooking. For example: full grid of wings, chicken parts, or even butterflied chickens or Cornish hens. If it is just one butterflied bird or the same in parts it does not really matter as much. That is just me and my preferences when cooking on a BGE.[p]Regarding elevated grills and the BGE, I think ribs cooked on an extended grid attached to the grid elevated with bolts benefit from the convection properties of ceramic cookers. Again, just my personal observations and thoughts . . .
  • JSlot
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]Thanks for the info. I need more excuses to EGGsperiment. LOL.[p]Jim
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Banker John,
    We don't flip ours and they turn out just fine. Do them raised grid, direct, breast up, at 350 for about an hour, and you should be fine.[p]~nikki

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Banker John, I have a large so I am not sure if you can fit two on your medium(although they probably will) but if they won't fit together on the main grid maybe you could use two grids(upper and lower).[p]Don't know if both chickens would cook exactly the same but you could switch racks in sometime during the cook to try and even them out.

• djm5x9
    Options
    bfchicken&v.jpg
    <p />Banker John:[p]Look, when you cook your birds, make sure you have some vegetables to go along with them . . .
    [/b]
  • Banker John
    Options
    djm5x9,
    The side dish request is for sweet potatoes. MMM gotta love em.

• djm5x9
    Options
    Banker John:[p]My boys love sweet potatoes off the grill. Brush with olive oil and place on the side of the grill for an hour turning a time or three. Very tasty!
    [/b]
  • Banker John
    Options
    djm5x9,
    I want to thank you for the "upper grill" advice. [p]2 chickens spatchcocked will fit on one level on a medium! I had chickens up high and 6 sweet potatoes rubbed with olive oil and wrapped in aluminum foil on the bottom.[p]350 for 65 minutes on the upper grid to an internal of 178. I put the sweet potatoes on after 15 minutes on the lower grill since they would be closer to the fire.[p]The in laws are "Raving Fans!"[p]PS - I Rubbed the chickens with olive oil and sprinkled with paprika, kosher salt, black peper, brown sugar, red pepper, carraway seeds & celery seeds, garlic salt (a lot) and chili powder. WOW!