Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vacuum Sealing

Options
Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Monday the Pro II arrived and today I initiated it with some pork loin and chicken. It worked great! what they don't show you tho on TV is that you must freeze your meats prior to vacuum sealing. Thats no real problem tho so be aware of it in your planning. I will be trying some marinate and ribs shortly as well as marinating a steak in a day or so. Thats my primary interest. Its possible that with some innovations brining might happen if I can get the right mechanism together. Working on it.
Cheers..C~W[p]

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]With all of the posts about the vaccuum sealers here lately, I may just have to break down and buy one. The seem too cool to pass up but I'm still not convinced that I'd use it enough to justify the cost. Then again, the lettuce is about 5 inches tall in the garden and the radishes are ready to harvest shortly. Maybe there will be a need for it? So many toys, so little money.[p]Troy
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    In all the posts here about the air sucker, I never realized you had to freeze the stuff before you seal it up. It would seem that some of the liquidy stuff like gumbo and marinating meat would be difficult to remove from the bag you would freeze it in before you use the 'new toy'.
    JimW

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I have been sealing my meat unfrozen. Why do they say to do it frozen?? I know sauces can get sucked into the mechanism, but do meat juices get sucked up too?? When I vacuum sealed the brisket chunks for the camping trip, I sealed them unfrozen with sauce poured over the meat. I cut the bags a few inches long, and no sauce made it into the machine....it stopped about 1/2" before the end! Whaddya think?
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    sprinter, I know what ya mean..JJ got one a year ago, and I procrastinated till last week. I think I am gonna like it tho. Gotta get the book and quote the reasons for the freezing. Sounded legitimate.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy, Me wiffy reads da book to me and I pay attention till I fall asleep.:-)
    Last words I heard were:
    MEAT, FISH, AND POULTRY: Freezer storage. For best results, quick freeze these foods (for at least 2 hours) before packaging. This allows them to better retain their juices and shape and prevents juices from being drawn into the vacuum pump. If it is not possible to freeze, then place a paper towel between the meat and the end of the bag. Leave the paper towel in the bag when vacuum packaging to obsorb moisture and to prevent juices from being drawn into the pump.
    I think I feel asleep at this point but there is more. This is in the Pro II handbook.
    Hope it helps...C~W[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I've never frozen meat prior to sealing. The only possible problem is a little "extra" meat juice is sucked into the sealing chamber. It collects in the provided tray and is easily wiped clean.[p]The advantages of sealing meat while unfrozen are great. The primary one is that you can get more meat in the bag. Hamburger is perfect for freezing and can be squashed to occupy the entire bag, making for nice stackable storage.[p]Spin

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    What a great idea about the paper towel! I guess maybe I should read my book!![p]Did you watch that video yet (I got a video tape in my kit and haven't seen it yet) Worth seeing??[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Spin
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Yup, that be what it says. The meat resumes its shape upon thawing and any juices lost would remain in the bag when thawed anyway and not be available for the cook. Just my opinion and experience of course. As with all products, the manufacturer recommends more precautions than are actually required (standard cya business practice).[p]Spin

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy, Yeh...I almost made it thru that one. :-) Good video. I think down in the book there is a reference to Refrigerated vacuum packing where you don't hold the meat any longer than 3 weeks but they still suggest quick freezing even when your holding in the fridge and not in the freezer.
    I guess, like bringing to room temps and bacilli, ya do what ya gotta do!! I am anxious to see what marinates due in a vacuum environment. As well as brining.
    Cheers.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Spin, I will probably toss the book and go at it later. For now I did it their way..:-) They also mention that when you remove the oxygen from the meat it will turn darker. Now I know why my cryovac meats looked almost marinated when I got em. Made me go to the fresh meats more often.
    That reminds me.. I gotta go get fresh unfrozen ribs from the butcher shop...Yesterday was the day!!
    Cya er..yah See Ya Later..C~W[p]

• Spin
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]You'll love the unit. There is a lot of room for experimentation with its use :). I've not noticed a darkening of the meat. Maybe it's the difference between sealin and freezing vs. sealing and refrigerating. I always seal and quickly freeze.[p]Enjoy!
    Spin

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I know for a fact....and Tim M can back me up...Cat's babybacks were vacuum marinated, frozen, and were heavenly. [p]Brining could be tricky! You could do it in one of their containers I guess, but I don't know that the lack of air will help too much when something is underwater. Ehhh??[p]Happy sealing
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • DaveW
    DaveW Posts: 3
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I have been vacuum sealing meat for about 6 months now and have never frozen any meat before hand. It seems to work fine. I have done top sirloin steaks, folded flank steaks, thick loin chops, country style ribs, and chicken breasts. The only things I wish I had frozen were egg rolls which sort of collapsed when the air was removed from the bag. Burgers might do the same thing also so they might benefit from pre freezing. I do make a point of running a paper towel around the inside of the bag prior to sealing to try and remove any stray moisture that might be present. I am very happy with my unit.[p]Regards, Dave
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    DaveW, I agree with ya. [p]I think the idea is to preserve maximum freshness thus the recommendations.. About half hour ago I zipped up 3 slabs of fresh unfrozen marinated babyback ribs. These should keep for quite a while at 35 to 40F in the fridge for a test run. I will check odors when I unzip em later. A quick freeze would help retain fluids IMO in agreeing with the recommendations. I am sure that its gonna be a benefit either way.
    Cheer's..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy, your right..I tried breathing under water once and it didn't work. I died!
    Been hell ever since!! Heeeeee.

Seriously tho..if marinates work in meat penetrations in a vacuum..why not brining if you can do it with a large container? With poultry of course the only fully developed bird that would work is a cornish hen.
    C~W[p]