Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The pheasant dinner - thanks everone for helping!

Options
AlaskanC
AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was able to use almost everyone's suggestions to pull this off! I ended up with just wild birds - one was a bit shot up, so I only used the breast from it. They were also skinned, so that made it impossible to do the butter under the skin thing.

Anyway - I read on a game cooking website that pheasant benefits from brining, so I did that for a few hours.
IMG_2503.jpg

Then I made a "rack" out of celery, and put a few cups of pear cider in the bottom, and sprinkled it with sauerkraut.
DSC_0282.jpg

The birds got stuffed with a mix of apples, onions, lemons & sauerkraut.
DSC_0285-1.jpg

Then they were coated with herbed butter, then topped with thick slices of pancetta.
DSC_0292-1.jpg

They went into a very cranky egg that refused to maintain any one temp for about 4 hours. I tried to keep the temp at about 275 - 300, but I cranked it up at the end because I thought they weren't done & I panicked a bit.

They turned out ok - a bit dry, but I am told that's the way they are. hmmmph.
DSC_0295.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions & help, and of course, thank you Max for the call walking me through the whole mess!!

Comments