Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket, slice or shread?

Options
Mike McQ
Mike McQ Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Putting my first Brisket (8#er) on tomorrow night. All wrapped up tight for a nice 24hr rub rest in the frig. I'm planning to take it long and slow to 200°f in 20-24hrs. I've read lots of recipes that talk about *slicing* (against the grain). I was thinking to pull it like butts. Who pulls and who slices there Briskets and why! [p]Looking forward to using the dual Nu-temp 601 bases. Yup, one probe can monitor both high & low alarms that way. Course, now with 3 remotes can do 3 high & 3 low alarms! Bit over kill but what the heck:)

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Mike McQ,[p]I used to cook my briskets to 200-205° internal and shred them. However, I've since found that I prefer to pull them at 190-195° internal and slice thinly. The texture is still buttery and some of the slices still fall apart. You need to try both ways and pick the one you and the folks you are feeding prefer. Good luck!![p]Jim
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Mike McQ,[p]You can do both quite easily......slice the flat and then shred the point. When cooking a whole brisket, I cook whole until the flat is finished. Then I cut the point off and place it back in the smoker for a few more hours. Then I shred it.[p]I like the flat up around 190º and then I like the point over 200º.[p]Stogie

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    Mike McQ,
    I am trying the same thing this weekend(if I can find a place in Feb that has lump)What rub do you use. Also I just purchased a new NU 701. What are you saying about 2 bases?

• Mike McQ,
    20 to 24 hours on a 8 pound brisket is way longer than needed, aprox 3 hours a pound, I would cook a 13 to 15 pounder only 16 to 18 hours.
    Jim

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    i've done hundreds of whole briskets, and stogie is right on the money. the only addition i would make is to 1) make sure you cut that big vein out that runs about half the length of the flat, and 2) when you separate the point from the flat, clean the fat & veins off of the top part of the flat and the bottom part of the tip. you can do that just by scrapping with the knife. if you pull the whole brisket at like 190+, that fat should almost just slide off. definitely put the tip back in. it has even more fat than a butt, so you can go 200+ on a finish for that. good luck!
  • Mike McQ
    Options
    Jim,
    Rub wise I made my own: 2T raw Maui sugar, 2T sea salt, 1T granulated garlic (Penszeys for herbs and spices), 1T granulated onion, 1t each black, white, cayenne peppers, 1t med-hot chilli powder, 1t Mexican oregano (also have Turkish...), 1/2t ground ginger. All dumped in *coffee* whirley chop *grinder* and pulsed to fine consistency. [p]According to Wireless Alarm Products the 601 & 701 are electronically identical. 701 comes with meat probes, 601 air & water plastic covered. I bought a 601 set for $28 total inc. s/h from Wireless for the second base (and third remote, already had third meat probe I'd gotten as a spare) The $28 total was going through their eBay auctions. The exact same setup is $39.95 plus s/h on their website!

[ul][li]Wireless Alarm eBay Listings[/ul]
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Mike,[p]Jim brings up a very good point about the cooking time! For a "small" brisket like yours, 12 hours should do it. [p]AND......[p]It may even be less. Brisket will cook based on the thickness of the cut(as well as the pit temp). At 8 pounds, yours is a relatively small brisket, so chances are it is thinner as well. I have had briskets cook between 1 1/2 hrs/lb. clear down to less than 1 hr./lb....these were all cooked at 225º pit temp. And it all has to do with how thick the thing is. [p]SO......[p]Take notes! [p]Here is a pretty good beef rub. This is the clone of the Outback Steakhouse Steak Seasoning. I like it because there is no sweetness to it....I don't like anything sweet on most of my beef.[p]You can also add some Horesradish and A1 or any similar steak sauce. Makes a nice goop![p]Good luck to ya![p]Stogie[p]Yum-Yum Steak Seasoning [p]4 tablespoon(s) Salt
    2 tablespoon(s) Paprika
    1 tablespoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Onion powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon Coriander
    1/2 teaspoon Turmeric[p]PREPARATION:
    Mix together and use on any beef.[p]Makes about 1/2 cup. [p][p]