Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck roast follow up and question

Options
East Bay Al
East Bay Al Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks RichardFL and Eenie Meenie for suggestions. I seared it, poured a large can of tomatoes over it, then topped off with red wine- lots of acid. Cooked at 325 and pulled off at 210. Took too long to hold for an hour at 210 (at least the first serving) Turned out fine- much better than the first one. So Thanks!

Question: If I had taken a small knife and jabbed the roast a lot of times cross grain, would that have let the marinade in, or let the juice out? I wouldnt cut it immediately after cooking, but what about before?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have been known to make slits and add pieces of garlic cloves. Don't see any reason not to do what you suggest. Did you just add tomatoes or other veggies?
  • East Bay Al
    Options
    I added 2 large onions- thick slices that sit under the roast, and chopped mixed with the tomatoes. We braised some root vegetables seperately, because I was running out of space in the DO.

I stick slivers of garlic in lamb, so should have thought to do that with the chuck- I was thinking more of a tenderizing thing than flavor, but it ends up being both. Although I usually stick the garlic with the grain.

I need to figure out a way to roast the roots in the Egg, while the pot roast is cooking- any ideas?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    The flour helps make a thick gravy in the end.