Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A lady wonders if size matters...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Am considering investing in a BGE. It is just for my hubby and me, and we don't entertain terribly often. Have a good-sized back yard so that isn't an issue, but $$$ is. We aren't rich but we are pretty "foodie" so we are willing to save up to shell out for the best. For a family of two who might fall in love with the BGE and want to do a 20lb. turkey once a year, or throw a backyard party every three months or so, what do folks suggest, size-wise?[p]Also, our back yard is mostly wonky, lopsided concrete and I have read that the nest is "tipsy". As I mentioned above, we aren't rich. Any tips on cost-saving alternatives to the BGE tables for stability?[p]Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Megan,
    Survey after survey here always ends up with folks telling you to go for the large, even though you don't think you'll use the capacity that often. As for me, it's just the wife and I, we seldom entertain but we have made the lifetime investment in a large, a medium and a small BGE.
    As for the BGE being tipsy that is the issue with the "nest" not the table. There are many plans for tables from simple to elaborate available.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Megan,[p]I believe kat said it all. Do yourself a favor and opt for the large. I have both a large and a small, but if could have only one it would be the large.[p]

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    kat,
    I agree with the notion of the large. As a sales representative in Iowa, I have seen retired couples going for the large just because of the convenience when family, friends, inquisitive neighbors, etc. show up. You'll save lots of money later on when you would rather cook on the BGE rather than going out to eat. The only downfall to this is the lack of a waiter/waitress that comes with the restaurant.
    If you can build a table or purchase one, it's well worth it, especially if you have the room. Make sure you have wheels so you can move it if you need to.
    Any other questions, feel free to ask.
    Julie

• Megan, don't buy a nest. I built one using pressure treated(green)lumber. It is about three feet long and two and a half feet wide with a shelf in the middle to hold the egg. We have a medium egg (but wish it was a large) and there is plenty of work space. All the materials cost less than $50 and only took a few hours to build. It looks just like the ones in the video that came with my Egg. Good Luck!
    Ryan

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Megan,[p]The large and the medium are pretty much the same cooker but one is a little bigger than the other, but they both do a fine job at both grill'n and low & slow. Go for the large, as it simply does it all, if you can but if you are pretty sure a crowd of 5 or more is not likely, then a medium will do you well with a few bucks left for ribs and steaks. Build a table yourself - not hard and cost is under $45-50 with good caster wheels. You need a drill and a saw (preferably an electric miter saw) or buy one of the wood carts and avoid the nest if you are on a slope at all.[p]Tim
  • Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Megan,
    Hard drive space and closets. Get all you can afford. You may not use them YET, but ultimately you will. Just the wife and I, too, but we have a large and a mini.[p]Trust me, I'm from the government and I'm here to help you. Grin![p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Thanks so much for the info. Fortunately San Francisco has a Tool Lending Library (!) so I can get my hands on all sorts of tools for free. Now I just have to start saving those pennies for the large...
  • Joel Ferman
    Options
    Megan,
    Hey, where about in the Bay Area do you live?
    -Joel

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Megan,[p]According to my wife, YES. I have never had any complaints about the decision to get the large. It is too versitle and goes well if you decide to get a small later. I use the small for grilling for us two. One note: I have given up on whole turkey's and instead cook/smoke 3 or 4 bonless turkey breast.[p]I hope DrBBQ doesn't reply.[p]bigarms....and yes they are
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Kelly Keefe, I have several but I have found that if it's too much to cook on the Mini, it's not too little to cook on the Large. A Large and a Mini make a great combination, especially when there are only two of you.

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    I agree with choosing the large. My dad, who has a small because he is only two and rarely entertains, loves his small, but nonetheless drools when he sees me doing the occasional something big.[p]On the issue of table/nest. I have two small kids and a large, rowdy dog. I took one look at the nest and vetoed the very idea of it. I took one look at the table and vetoed it due to cost. [p]So, I bought the large and put it on the three feet right on the ground, with a big piece of slate underneath it to protect my deck. I was entirely satisfied with this arrangement. It was not tipsy, and the only way it could be knocked over was by a direct tackle or very very rowdy misbehavior. If you are comfortable with working with a weber kettle outside, the egg by itself is far more stable (and also much heavier). And it is much much steadier than any of the trashcan smokers I have had.[p]After a year or so of this, I ran into a table at a deal, and i bought the table. I love the table and appreciate very much the convenience it offers. But if you are short of budget and impatient to get started, go ahead and just get the large and put it on the ground. Get your frills later. Or, as some have suggested, build them yourself.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    bigarms,
    Like you, got a large and a small. And I "thought" I'd given up on whole turks. Then I pulled one for some folks who don't eat red meat. It was excellent. (Already started planning next year's Tday menu: pulled turkey and all the trimmings - coleslaw, beans, corn...)
    Ken