Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boston butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to attempt my first boston butt Saturday. Any suggestions as far as egg temperature and how long it needs to cook? I need it done in time to watch the Bud Shootout in Daytona.(Sat@7) I've seen several posts were they were cooked overnight. Is that neccessary or can it be done in a few hours? I need to know how much lump to use. thanks,
Ryan

Comments

• Mac  in NC
    Options
    ryan in MS, I would suggest looking up Elder Ward's method in the archives. His essay is flawless and tells you exactly what to do. Cooking time depends on the weight of the butt. As a guide, I just finished two 5 1/2 pounders in 16 hrs. @ 250 degrees.
    Fill your lump to top of fire ring. (refer to Elder Ward again for setup) If using a medium BGE, be ready to refill the lump approx. 13 hrs. into cook. I hear of others going 18 hrs. without refilling but I have never been able to achieve those results.
    Enjoy your cook! Many are intimidated by such a long cook but I can honestly say, it is really very easy and quite fun. Mac

• ryan in MS, I smoked my first BB last weekend, a 5 pounder. It took about 17.5 hours to reach an internal temp of 200, which is the desired number. I followed Elder Ward's advice pretty much to the letter, including distribution of lump--larger pieces as the base, etc. I started the cook at 10 PM last Friday, leveling off the dome temp at 240. Checked it twice during the night. Everything was AOK. By 10 AM Saturday, the dome temp had fallen below 190 so I checked the lump and it was pretty much all burned away. Added a bunch more and got the dome temp up back up to 250 degrees. Took the butt off the Egg at 3:30 PM or so when the butt reached 200 degrees internal. It turned out to be terrific. Best pulled pork I've ever had. Good luck to you.

• Mac in NC , I can't find anything about Elder Ward's cooking suggestions in the archives. Do you know where else I can look?
    Ryan in MS[p]

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Ryan in MS,[p]Here you go. It's in the recipe section.
    Great read from a man who knows what he's talkin about and knows his way around the fine state of NC![p]John

[ul][li]Da Man[/ul]
  • Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Options
    ryan in MS,[p]First, I too believe you can't beat Elder's set up. Second, the thing that most newbies need to keep in mind is the longer it takes to cook that puppy, imo,the better it's going to be. Third, I prefer to stabilize my egg at 210 degrees. When the internal temp of the butt hits 175, I will then open the vents and raise the egg temp to 250. It takes about 17 hours for the butt to reach 175 and I generally figure another five more hours to finish off the butt at the higher dome temp. I've found once the butt reaches an internal temp of 175, it's pretty much idiot proof. On occasions when time became an issue, I even jacked the dome temp up to 300 with no ill effects. Lastly, alot of posters here shoot for an eternal meat temp of 200 degrees, however, I prefer a bit higher temp of say 210. Just seems to taste better for some reason.[p]Good Luck. With the egg, it's easier than you think.
  • Banker John
    Options
    Mac in NC ,
    I'm glad you mentioned the 13 hours for a medium. I have felt like I sucked at the art of pyro technics on my medium. I read so many posts of 18-30+ hours low & slo with no refill/relights. I just have not had this experience.[p]All of my overnight lump loads last about 13 hours on my medium.