Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any idea why my boston butt is taking so long?

Roanokesmoke
Roanokesmoke Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a small, 2.8 lb boston butt on at around 1pm today, with the egg temp at 240-150. Everything has been going just fine so far (stable temp, etc), but at the 6 hour mark the butt temp is only reading 160. Does this sound about right to you or is there something wrong? I've read that butts take 1 1/2 to 2 hours a lb, which is why I'm concerned; but perhaps since its a small butt it might take longer (per lb) than your typical larger sized butt.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Your pit thermometer could be off, and reading low. And or your meat thermometer may be off a hair too.

Does the meat still feel tough when you probe it?
    Does the roast have some good color to it?
    Do you want to eat it tonight?

A roast that small can become dry and I'm thinking that if it has good color, you might be better off foiling it and finishing the cook that way. Yes you will soften the bark, but overall the finished product will be very good. If you go this route, add 1-2 ounces of broth before you seal the foil. Also, no need to finish on the Egg, a 260° oven will work just fine.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Not sure what you mean, egg temp at 240-150°. Is that dome or internal probe and if so where is the probe placed?

GG
  • I meant the egg temp is showing 240-250...not 150. The temp is calibrated and I'm using a remote temp gauge as well.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Sometimes with the smaller butts, it does take more than the normal 1.5-2hrs/lb. That is just typically how long it takes to break down the fat in the larger (7-10lbs) butts. In a smaller peice of meat you still have to break down the fats (I am sure there is a more proper term ;) ) and it does take a bit longer than the normal time frame/lb. I think for the size butt that you have; Thirdeye's suggestion on finishing is probably the best course of action. Hope this helps.