Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I pressure clean my large egg?

Options
Ray Kane
Ray Kane Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am finally getting around to cleaning up my large egg purchased off of Craigslist. Previous owners let it sit for years full of CHARCOAL ashes plus it needs a good in and out cleaning.

I have a pressure cleaner with various tips and was thinking of using it inside and out.

Good or bad idea?

Comments

• dukedog
    Options
    I probably wouldn't, maybe the outside, but the inside I'd just vacuum/scoop out, fill with fresh lump and fire it up, let the fire do the cleaning for you. Maybe scrub the inside with crumpled tin foil after the cleaning burn and vacuum out again with a shop vac.
  • Ray Kane
    Options
    Is water in the inside of the egg a big no-no?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    The inside of the egg is not glazed like the outside and there is a possibility you may actually etch the interior.

Just light it up and burn out the inside.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    no water and certainly NO chemicals either. A hot fire for an hour will do wonders for you no matter what was inside!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if you can go easy (don't crank it up), you could proabably get away with it.

be careful on the outside, though the crazing could (slim chance, probably) chip off.

i'd clean the inside by scooping out the ash, then doing a 500 degree burn for a couple hours maybe (watch the gasket!). but you could probably hit it too with a lower pressure wash.

i dunno why pressure washing is the answer to everything. those things do more harm than good in the hands of most guys. hahaha :blink:

i've seen wood siding destroyed, wood decks torn up, water shot up behind vinyl siding (when pointing it UP at the siding), and the saddest thing was seeing a guy move in a few houses down and pressure wash a 75year old stone wall free of the moss and lichen. i'm a fan of dirt, as you can tell!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mitch
    mitch Posts: 25
    Options
    :huh: Why? Run the temp to 750 and let it burn the inside clean. Comes out looking brand new.

Clean the outside with vinegar and water.
  • Ray Kane
    Options
    mitch wrote:
    Clean the outside with vinegar and water.
    Wouldn't that give me a pickled egg?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    it will be a clean pickled egg...