Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak technique

bigmikej
bigmikej Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was just reading through the Steak thread below and want to make some comments. I bought a 4 pack of 1.25"-1.5" filets on Sunday. Well, I decided to use the sear, 20 min. rest, dwell method for a change. To my pleasant surprise, it was perhaps the best steak I have ever cooked. I went ahead and cooked the last two filets last night with equally great results. Just some olive oil, fresh cracked pepper, and some Montreal Steak Seas., sear at 750 for 2 min. per side, take off for 20 min., get egg to around 400* and finish for 5 min. Perfect medium rare with a melt in your mouth texture like butter. This is definitely a keeper!

Comments

• bigmikej,[p]I did a cold weather variation of this technique last nite on a couple of NY strips. I applied a good coating of Char-Crust Hickory/Molassas rub to the steaks Sunday. I got humpty up to 750F. and did the 2 minute sear/side. I then took them out and let them rest for 5 minutes, outside, in the 5F. air (brrrrrrr) while the egg got down to 400F. Then put them back on a cooked to taste. My wife said it's the best steak she's ever had in her life.[p]jeff

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    bigmikej,[p]I missed the steak thread yesterday so I didn't get to chime in with the sear/20 minute rest/400 F cook method suggestion, but I was glad to see that some others did. I'm glad that you too had great success with this method. I love it, and though it takes a bit longer, it produces a great tender steak everytime (provided, of course, that you start out with good quality beef). Since proper recognition is important in this forum, I have to give credit to my chef friend, David Welch, who first explained to me the importance of resting steak for 15 - 20 minutes after searing.
  • Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    TRex,
    Care to elaborate on that conversation? Sounds interesting.
    Seth

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    bigmikej,
    What does this method do that is better than a more "traditional" 3/3/4 with no rest between sear and dwell?

• TRex
    Seth ,[p]This is the way he explained it to me. Steak is essentially the muscle of the cow. When this muscle tissue is exposed to the sudden, intense heat of a high temperature sear, it "tenses up," so to speak. I guess I always picture how muscles in your back can knot up and become "tough." Allowing the steak to rest for 20 minutes after searing allows the muscle to relax once again, and allows the juices within the muscle to redistribute. Cooking the steak the rest of the way at a lower temperature (400 F is what I chose to use, and it seems to work well) does not shock the muscle as much, though I still often rest the meat for 3 - 5 minutes after the final cook. The result is a much more tender steak, and many cooks using this method have proven this to me. Of course, I always tell people, as my disclaimer of sorts, that you must start with a quality piece of beef. In other words, you can't take crappy meat and make it delicous by your cooking method (in my opinion, anyway). I was bored one day and wrote a verbose narrative on cooking the perfect steak that I've shared with several on this forum--send me an email if you'd like a copy.
  • Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    TRex,
    Does the cut of meat matter, or have you tried various cuts?

• TRex
    Kip,[p]I've had the best results with NY strips, but I've also been pleased with this method on filets, ribeyes, and even thick pork loin chops.
  • TRex
    Steve-O,[p]See my answer to Seth below. I also found that the dwelling made the steak a little too smokey for my tastes, but that's just a matter of personal preference. The more I cook steaks, the more I seem to realize that I like less smoke.
  • Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    TRex,
    Tonight's the night! Thanks.

• Kip, tried this method tonight with fabulous results.[p]One complaint: At 700-750 degrees, I burned my oven mitt badly! I need a large asbestos one, but I guess that's illegal now.