Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

baby back ribs

Options
birddog14
birddog14 Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
3 racks of baby backs...235 or so for 3 hours.
2 racks with homemade rub the other with John Henry's Wild Cherry Chipotle

12-05-08006.jpg

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    nicely on their way, though it will be a while yet. Just a friendly suggestion...a mere layer or two of foil on that pristine setter will save you "off flavors" on future cooks from all the sauces, fats etc that your ribs and other meats will drip off.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan, (2 of yours and 1 of his) I am interested to know how you like the John Henry's.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Look great! Strange seeing an Egg that white!! :laugh: I second the foil on the platsetter. I wrap mine and makes clean up a breeze and no grease flair ups or nasty platsetter.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Welcome back from China! We have neighbors who are on a 3 year "tour" of duty with CATERPILLAR who have told me more than I want to know and they are living "upscale". Just be glad you're out there where you are...but I bet you know that already! And lastly, have you and Leroy ever even met in person there in Spring, TX?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • birddog14
    Options
    JLOCKHART29 wrote:
    Look great! Strange seeing an Egg that white!! :laugh:

only the 3rd cook on this egg

I like the John Henry's...I haven't had anything from him I didn't like. I do wish it was hotter, but then again I put peppers or hot stuff on almost everything I make (except breakfast somtimes)

never thought about putting foil on the place setter, I will try that. I just figured you could burn it off later.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    It's a shame to say but I haven't made it by the Coop yet. Still on my list of things to do. He's only about 6 miles from the house. He invited me to the coopdedo but I was at work and missed it. I am going to try to get by his place before Christmas if possible. Can't wait to meet him. I might try to get to the TX eggfest in Austin and meet all you guys. What a hoot that has to be!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    I am sure there will be differing opinions here, so don't blast me for mine (please). The platesetter is designed to accept drippings, which can easily be burnt off in a 'clean burn'. Using foil, yes, makes it an easy clean up, but you are exposing your body to aluminum, the #1 determined cause of Alzheimers. Just my 2 cents, burn of the drippings, the flavor of the stone adds character in the future....LOSE aluminum foil in your ENTIRE cooking repertoire!!! (please? it's really bad for u!)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    you source of this info?
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Celtic- R U just trying to bust me? Or truly trying to glean knowlede? It has been determined, in the medical world, that the most direct link they can determine to Alzheimers is aluminum (and genes). Aluminum pans, foil, etc. It is not a part of our "cooking" repertoire. I can elaborate if you so choose.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    From WebMD, with correlating information on several other sites I gave a very cursory review:

"various studies have found that groups of people exposed to high levels of aluminum do not have an increased risk. Moreover, aluminum in cooking utensils does not get into food, and the aluminum that does occur naturally in some foods, such as potatoes, is not absorbed well by the body. On the whole, scientists can say only that it is still uncertain whether exposure to aluminum plays a role in Alzheimer's disease."

I'm sure there will be studies to suggest otherwise, but the key line is the one I emphasized in bold.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Based on some quick reading I did the digestive absorption of aluminum is very negligible, estimated at less than 1% of intake. And we get for more aluminum in our diets from water sources and foods that we would get from foil and aluminum utensils/pans.

Not trying to bust on you, but there is a lot of rumor and hyperbole out there, but I didn't find any evidence offering a solid connection (again, after an admittedly brief search).

If you have sources to the contrary please post them, as I would like to read and learn.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    I'm not trying to get into a 'tit for tat'. All I was saying is, we do NOT use aluminum as part of our cooking methods. It is bad. It really is. See this link....it is only one, of thousands!
    http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=99
    I am not trying to be argumentaive. All I can say is, WE choose not to use foil in OUR cooking methods, except tenting to rest. Your choice, is totally up to you! Do you work for Reynolds?
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Michelle, I heard the same thing about aluminum. I still use aluminum however I try not to scrape the pan. I also try to use wood or plastic utinsils. If you notice antiperspirant has a lot of aluminum oxide in it, and some recommend using deodorant instead. Problem with that is, it don't work for me. :pinch:
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Jo Jo- Thanks for your support...I don't worry about my arm pits as I do what I put on the table! :blink: If we COOK our food in foil, we are setting ourselves up for trouble LATER! It's nothing we will know about until it is too late. I am just trying to help everyone. In our house FOIL = NO! The rest is up to everyone else.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Beautiful color, Birddog.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I am too drunk to bust one you. I want knowledge though it may need to be tomorrow before I can comprehend what you are saying
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    i don't understand how a drip pan or piece of foil on a plate setter not touching the meat can be a source of aluminum.

this paragraph from the link you posted refers to actual aluminum/food contact...

"The main sources of aluminium in our diet include tea, beer, baked products, drinking water, toothpaste, aluminium-based antacids, aluminium cookware and some canned beverages (Rao and Rao 1995). Aluminium uptake from our diets is usually very low, with more than 99% passing through the digestive system unabsorbed. Absorption increases significantly in the presence of acidic foods such as orange juice. The small amount of aluminium that is absorbed into the body is rapidly excreted by the kidneys in urine, except in individuals with impaired kidney function, where aluminium retention within the body is responsible for dialysis dementia."

i don't know, but i'm not convinced. you are going to have to provide more solid proof and references. it's just my opinion.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Fair enoiugh! We can all have our opinions! That's what makes the world go round! Having lost two family members....I understand my opinions are strong. The rest is up to you. Aluminum cooking, or not. It's up to you. I'll err on the side of caution. No aluminum in THIS household.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Nice lookin ribbies. :)

I'm a rapper, of the PS that is, and other stuff that I want to have an easy time cleaning up like drip pans. I use it so much that I picked up a restaurant sized roll HDAF at Sam's - I think it was a 500 ft. roll.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Why do you have to take cheap shots?

All I ask for is a link to any reference or study that indicates cooking near or with aluminum is, in your own words, "the most direct link they can determine to Alzheimers". You said you can elaborate, and I asked you to do so since the references I read did not indicate this.

For the record, I do not work for Reynolds. I do however, question things that I do not necessarily believe to be true. I also read, a lot. I research. I try to deduce logical and informed conclusions. If I were to make a statement on this or any other forum that was challenged I would produce information in support of my claim.

I am not convinced that cooking on a BGE with aluminum foil near the food is going to increase my risk of aluminum absorption. Yes, they have found higher than expected amounts of aluminum compounds in autopsies of Alzheimer's patients. This doesn't mean that their use of aluminum foil in cooking caused their Alzheimer's. One of the most important aspects of science is to remember that correlation does not equal causation.
  • Fidel
    Options
    OK, I'm not on a crusade here, but a few more research points and I'll let it go.

From alz.org, official site of Alzheimer's Association:

"During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat."

From the Canadian National Alzheimer's site:

"Aluminium: Most researchers no longer regard aluminium as a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease. However, some researchers are still examining whether some people are at risk because their bodies have difficulties in handling foods containing the metals copper, iron, and aluminium."

From the Mayo Clinic site:

"Toxicity. One long-standing theory is that overexposure to certain trace metals or chemicals may cause Alzheimer's. For a time, aluminum seemed a likely candidate, because some people with Alzheimer's have deposits of aluminum in their brains. After many years of studies, however, no one has been able to link aluminum exposure directly to Alzheimer's. At this point, there's no evidence that any particular substance increases a person's risk of Alzheimer's."

From the National Institute of Health web site:

"When researchers found traces of this metal in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease, some thought it might play a role in causing the disease. However, many studies since then have not shown aluminum to be associated with Alzheimer's disease."
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    The article doesn't support the aluminum as a casual factor in Alzheimers. In fact in the first paragraph it does just the opposite.

"but no causal relationship has yet been proved. As evidence for other causes continues to grow, a possible link with aluminium seems increasingly unlikely"

We have direct alzheimers experience in our family and my neighbor is going through it with her mom now - its not nice.

Please do your own thing as you see fit, but I'll continue to foil.
  • Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    Options
    I value your opinion but it is irresponsible to say that exposure to aluminum is the #1 cause of Alzheimer's. You should not try to spread your irrational fears to others unless you have some decent evidence.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i'm with you.

the aluminum connection was asserted back mid 80's or so, and quickly disproved. i remember it because my grandmother had a set of very old "guardian" aluminum cookware vessels. amazing triangle shaped things, you could fit three to a burner like slices of pi, stack them, etc.

my mother almost threw them out because of the reports on the news about a possible connection.

anyway. claims that it is harmful need to show reputable evidence, otherwise it's hyperbole and over reaction. i appreciate someone being careful, but not at the expense of all evidence to the contrary.

warnings of using galvanized metal in the grill fall into this category and because there's a scintilla of truth, the myths take hold and never let go.

it's always easier to remember the dire warning than it is to educate one's self and understand the reality...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante