Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks on the Egg

Options
2»

Comments

• Kip,[p]Thank you!!! I don't like hurting myself before enjoying a good steak![p]Greg

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Rose,[p]I had the same reaction the first time I heard this. I even took the steak outside to unwrap and thought it would be green and smelly. To my surprise it was neither. I had the egg already going and cooked this steak.........trust me it works. I will let OFK give you the process since it is not my recipe....a keeper.

• Rose,[p]I think the Kosher Salt keeps the meat from going bad. I guess you used to use salt in place of the refridgerator in the old days??[p]Greg

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    bigarms,
    Boy that is a new one to me but sounds great. My parents owned a grocery store for years and for our great steaks, we would cut open a cry o vac bag and age for 7 days.
    My filets, I coat with extra virgin olive oil and seasonings then let set at room temp. for 1 hour before cooking.
    I will try this method next.[p]CWM

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    LittlebadK,
    I've always stuck to ribeyes or filets. I usually coat with extra virgin olive oil and seasoning then let set 1 hour at room temp. before cooking.
    After saying that, bigarms has a idea or someones that I will be trying soon.[p]CWM

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    TS_041500_181602.jpg
    <p />LittlebadK, the best steak is the one that "you" like the best. One of my all time favorites is a simple sirloin steak with a few shrimp. With sirloin, a simple marinate can be nice - the one in the picture was about 30 hours. There is a link to the marinate recipe (with credits) at the top of the page.[p]BBq is fun, especially if you can take your time and plan a little ahead - in this case at least 1 day :~}

[ul][li]Steak w Shrimp[/ul]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    LittlebadK,
    Gfw is right...the best steak is the one you prefer.[p]Personally, I like a nice thick rib-eye. Unless you're doing for a huge crowd, treat yourself and get a couple of nice thick... 1 1/2"...prime rib-eyes. I also prefer just a little pepper, onion, garlic powder. If you want, dry age them a day or so in the fridge. If you like the outside charred, cook at 700+. Again, I prefer cooking in the 550-600 range and not get the heavy charred outside and cook rare![p]You've got lots of thoughts...enjoy and let us know what you find best.

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    LittlebadK,
    Look in the Atlanta Jounal-Constitution Thursday edition, food section, there is a recipe for marinated rib-eye from a restaurant named High Cotton. They sell out of these every time they offer them. They have a web site but for the life of me I can't remember it.
    Mark

• Dave's Not Here
    Options
    Mark,
    Here's the link from last Thursday. It's only good for 7 days, so save the content.[p]http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/epaper/editions/thursday/food_e38306510678219a00e3.html

[ul][li]High Cotton Steak Recipe[/ul]
  • LittlebadK,
    I asked a similar question a few months back. Here's the responses...[p]Icy cold ones,
    Matt.

[ul][li]Steak Survey[/ul]
  • South O,[p]Thank you for the link. What a great wealth of info I received from just one question!! Does anybody have the actual receipe for the Olive Oil Marinade and 7 day rest?[p]Thank you again.[p]Greg

• bigarms,[p]Do you happen to have the actual receipe for the Olive Oil 7 day rest marinade?[p]Thank you.[p]Greg
  • bigarms
    Options
    littlebadk, [p]Sorry I actually had to work today.[p]Take each steak and apply a generous amount of olive oil to each side. Then apply your desired spices and rub into each side. Wrap each steak individually with saran wrap....I use two separate sheets, wrapping twice. Then into the frig for a week....or until you are ready.[p]Simple but works.[p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p]
    [ul][li]Thread link[/ul]
  • bigarms,[p]and putting salt on them is that early is OK? I made a marinade of Olive Oil, Garlic, Kohser Salt and Pepper in a both and drenched each steak and then wrapped them.[p]Do you add any Salt and Pepper just before cooking?[p]Thank you.[p]Greg

• bigarms
    Options
    littlebadk,[p]No I add salt and pepper before I wrap. I have oiled, and then used Mortreal's steak seasoning and wrapped with good results too.[p]I generally just slather with Oil and then spice..and rub each side of the steak . I think either method will work....but yes I salt and pepper before wrapping.

• bigarms,[p]Thank you! I will let you know on Monday what transpired.[p]Greg

• bigarms
    Options
    littlebadk,[p]enjoy and let us know.

• rose
    rose Posts: 37
    Options
    New Bob,
    Has any one tried using the food saver to seal the steaks in rather then just saran wrap??