Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need a knock your socks off recipe for chicken wings

rose
rose Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was invited to a party Friday night and was asked to bring chicken wings. I want to do them on the green egg. I have never done any on the egg and I don't want to mess them up. So I'm looking for a no fail recipe That will knock there socks off!! can any one help??
Thanks Rose

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Rose,[p]Still great after all these years....[p]K~G

[ul][li]Wings, wings, wings....[/ul]
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    KennyG,[p]I love that recipe and use it most of the time I do wings.
    I will double the recipe and instead of a dash of hot sauce, I throw in a couple glugs of Crystals Hot sauce and let it marinate for a few hours.[p]Wings always turn out great.[p]John[p]

• Mikey
    Mikey Posts: 56
    KennyG,
    I was looking for this recipe a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find it. Thanks for posting it again.[p]Mike

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Wings_04_02_00_05.jpg
    <p />Rose, why not try a few different versions - the BGE loves variety and after reading KennyG's post, next time I may try his![p]My favorite. ChefRD's Wings with a minor variation - soaking in the egg and hot sauce for about 5+ hours. [p]While they are breaded, you'll be amazed at the great taste... BBQ breaded wings![p]Life is (truly) GOOD :~}
    [ul][li]Hot Wings[/ul]
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Rose,[p]Here is a traditional Buffalo Wing sauce kicked up a little.......[p]Hot Wings [p]
    3 - 4 pound(s) Chicken wings[p]COATING
    1 tablespoon Chili powder
    1 tablespoon Cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon White pepper
    1 tablespoon Black pepper
    1 tablespoon Cumin
    1 tablespoon Salt
    1 tablespoon Garlic powder[p]SAUCE
    1 cup Red hot sauce
    1 Stick Butter
    1/2 tablespoon Cayenne pepper
    1/2 tablespoon Garlic powder[p]PREPARATION:
    Combine the ingredients for the coating.
    Sprinkle or roll the wings in this seasoning until covered.
    Deep fry wings until crisp ORgrill at 400º for about 20-25 minutes.
    Heat the sauce ingredients to dissolve.
    Toss the finished wings in this sauce to coat.
    Use a large heat-proof mixing bowl, NOT a Baggie or Ziploc, they will melt.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    KennyG,
    Yes, that recipe is fantastic!! But, when I got a copy from the book, it came with their recipe for a blue cheese dip. Now, I'm not a big fan of dipping my wings, unless it's in more hot sauce, but this dip always makes me change my mind. It's even better after it has had a chance to sit overnight.....[p]2/3 cup (5 fl oz/160ml) sour cream
    ½ cup (4 fl oz/125ml) mayonnaise
    1 large clove garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup (4oz/125g) crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola
    salt
    freshly ground pepper
    2 tablspoons, more or less, milk

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    wing7.jpg
    <p />Rose,[p]ChefRD's wings and a good wing sauce that makes your head sweat!!
    Yum[p]Tim

• BillyT
    BillyT Posts: 29
    Rose,[p]Attached is a recipie I always use, from Epicurious. The hardest part is unwrapping the wings from the packaging, they are always a hit. I don't fry them just rub a little vegetable oil, salt & pepper and throw on the Egg, add the sauce and serve with the blue cheese dressing.[p]BillyT

BUFFALO CHICKEN WINGS
    You can deep-fry these wings à la Anchor Bar, but they're just as delicious hot off the grill. In addition, we thought we'd give a nod to the history of this recipe by using Frank's Hot Sauce (available at most supermarkets), the original ingredient in these wings. However, it wasn’t quite spicy enough on its own for our taste; we suggest adding a little Tabasco to increase the heat.
    For blue-cheese dressing
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup plain yogurt
    2 ounces crumbled blue cheese (about 1/2 cup)[p]4 celery ribs
    3 pounds chicken wings (12 to 14)
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil (if grilling) or 6 cups vegetable oil (if deep-frying)
    1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
    3 to 4 tablespoons hot sauce such as Frank's or Goya
    1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar [p]Make dressing:
    In a bowl whisk together mayonnaise and yogurt and stir in blue cheese (dressing will not be smooth). Dressing may be made 8 hours ahead and chilled, covered. Cut celery into thin sticks. Soak celery in a bowl of ice and cold water at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.[p]Cut off chicken wing tips, reserving for another use, and halve chicken wings at joint.[p]To grill wings:
    Preheat grill.[p]Pat wings dry. In a bowl rub 2 tablespoons oil onto wings and season with salt. Grill wings on an oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals until cooked through and golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes on each side.[p]To deep-fry wings:
    In a large (5- to 6-quart) deep heavy kettle heat 6 cups oil until a deep-fat thermometer registers 380° F. Just before oil reaches 380°F, pat dry 6 or 7 wings. Carefully lower wings into oil and fry, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, golden, and crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon transfer wings to paper towels to drain. Pat dry and fry remaining wings in same manner, returning oil to 380°F between batches.[p]In a large skillet melt butter over moderately low heat and stir in hot sauce, vinegar, and salt to taste. Add grilled or fried wings and toss to coat.[p]Serve chicken wings warm or at room temperature with dressing and celery sticks. [p]Serves 6 as an hors d'oeuvre or 4 as a main course.

Gourmet
    July 1999

[p][p]Epicurious Food © 2003 CondéNet Inc. All rights reserved. [p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Rose, I'm a sucker for th elemon-pepper wings. Use a lemon-pepper marinade for a couple of hours and then coat real well with lemon-pepper seasoning. Place on a 300-325 degree egg and cook for about 45 minutes turning a couple of times. They are great.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Rose,[p]Here's my "old standby". Picked it up in 1998 from Ahab, on the Basso Forum. I've made on a gasser and an offset, and they're best on the Egg.
    Ken[p]Ahab’s Chili-Lime Wings[p]5 Pounds wings, separated
    1 cup lime juice
    1 4 oz. can of peeled and diced green chilis
    2 Tablespoons garlic powder
    2 1/2 Tablespoons paprika
    1 Tablespoon sugar
    2 Tablespoons salt
    1 Tablespoon lemon-pepper
    1 Tablespoon soy sauce
    1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
    cayenne pepper to taste[p]Puree the chilis in a food processor or blender. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Marinate for 2-3 hours. Reserve marinade for basting. Longer marinating time will not improve the flavor, in fact the lime will become too dominant.[p]Grill wings at 230° dome, turning and basting every 10 to 15 minutes with reserved marinade. Wings are done when they don't stick to the grill. (about 2 hours total)[p]

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Tim M,[p]Please post or email the recipe. Thanks,[p]Ken
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    BlueSmoke:[p]Here you go . . .

[/b]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    KennyG,[p]We just did these on Sunday! Thanks for the recipe. It was one I had printed out in my stash and finally tried it. I'll be posting a pic tomorrow (along with the catfish from above). These were excellent. Actually, we just finished off the last of them for dinner tonight. I had foodsaved the leftovers and put them away in the freezer and when I got home late tonight, Larry had dinner all ready for me when I came in.[p]They were a little milder than I expected, so next time I'll have to increase the heat some...![p]Thanks again,
    Tonia
    :~)[p]

• rose
    rose Posts: 37
    KennyG,
    I'm going to try your wings and also Gfw recipe they both sound so good. Thanks to all for your input I will try the other recipes next time I do wings. Thanks again