Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trouble Deciding...Weber S-470 or Green....

13»

Comments

• I had the same questions you do. After going through a few gas grills, a few kettels, a few offsets, and a WSM. I broke down and got the Egg. Haven't regretted it one bit.

When I first got my Egg some one passed along this link. Not only is it the definitive web site for ceramic cooking, it really has some inspiring recipes and methods. Good luck with your decision, and I hope to see you post some cooking photos in the future.

Here is the link. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    and a few photos I like.

AZRP "The Chicken"

AZRP4-5-08009.jpg

Spatchcock (the moistest chicken I've ever cooked)

SpatchCock002.jpg

Mushrooms Caprese

4-5-08015.jpg

Pizza

3-7-08007.jpg

Pork Loin

Porkloin004.jpg

Ribs (Much easier to cook on Egg VS Offset)

Ribs006.jpg

Blackend Lemon Fish

4-5-08004.jpg

AZRP Spicy shrimp

DSC_0014_edited.jpg

Chops on the Mini

SteakChops022.jpg

Steak on the XL

Steak011.jpg
  • What state do you live in? I live in the northeast and I'm pretty sure you can get it for under $650 - but then again, what are they including at that price? Some dealers just sell the Egg while other throw in a lot of stuff that you'd probably want to buy anyway-like an ash tool and lump.
  • wow you guys make me want to buy another egg.
  • The best place to get a good deal would be at an EGGFest. They are located all over, and I think the first one will next year in Ocala Fl. Check the banner at the top of the page.

Besides getting a good price you'll meet a few of us and get some actual hands on experience.
  • I picked up a Med at Eggtoberfest. Second best purchase ever, after the XL.
  • Used to own a gaser until I joined the NY Jets this past summer. I eat a lot of wild game being on how much I hunt and all. I can tell you that searing venison and bison is nothing compared on the Egg then anything else. That great lump coal flavor that it adds!
    You just have to be fair to yourself. It's fair for your tastebuds to get that caol flavor. Being unfair, LIKE THE DENVER BRONCOS FAKING INJURIES EVERYTIME0E-V-E-R-Y T-I-M-E WE RAN THE NO HUDDLE, I GOT MY TEAM MOVING SO THEY CAN MAKE DEFENSE SUBSTITUTIONS, just isnt living life to the fullest.
    Get the EGG!
    Sincerely,
    Brett Favre
    QB-NY JETS
  • Ocala is like 4 hours away from me. How much do eggs go for at a fest? Anyone have a link to the event schedule, it would be nice if there was a fest in south FL.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    and something tells me they'd cut a deal in the current "economic climate'. especially around christmas time
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    thanks mang. all that stuff was impossible before the jokers on this forum showed me how, frankly.
  • I used a Webber kettle for 25 years and thought I had done some good cooks. Mostly just the normal grilling: Burgers, brats, chicken, smoked a lot of turkeys…
    Got a Lg. BGE early last spring and it has opened a whole new world of cooking…We love it!! :) :woohoo:
    I have never had a gasser, but use one at a cabin I share with a life long friend. There is absolutely no comparison!!! I’m thinking we need to buy an Egg for the cabin!! ;)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Dave where are you in Fl. We go to Port Charlotte in the winter and if it is at all close for you I would be glad to give you a hand getting going in Jan. We had priced a few places down there for our med and they did run a little high. there was a dealer south of us, can't remember and they were the worst. The place in Englewood closed last year where my folks got their med and he was great to deal with. pad 700.00 for a med with nest, ash tool, grate lifter, side tables, plate setter and we bought the pizza stone. He knew he had our business with 3 of us egging in the park we are in, so really treated us right. maybe why he is out of business now :( we will be at Ocala and believe me 4 hours is nothing to get there and worth every penny to go people come to egg fests from all over the country and the big one each year is in Atlanta. I could not go this year. sniff. but I am over it....... I think.... LOL hope to meet up some time, Julie
  • i am a chef and now sell the egg in northern nj. I can say using gas & charcoal , you can't enjoy food the next day cooked on propane. It has an off flavor. The egg produces food that is far superior to anything the propane grill can cook, unless you are in need of a ignition button to start! LIFETIME WARRANTY! Try making venision jerky on propane.
  • I have to admit, their design seems superior and more practical. It would be nice if BGE learned from this given their thicker ceramics and lifetime warranty.
  • davewolfs,

Now you got all this nice friendly advice from all these nice friendly folks and you come back with a comment like that? I really don't understand how you could have learned so much in a few days. Wow, I'm impressed.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven wrote:
    davewolfs,

Now you got all this nice friendly advice from all these nice friendly folks and you come back with a comment like that? I really don't understand how you could have learned so much in a few days. Wow, I'm impressed.

Steve

What is wrong with my comment? It's not intended towards you or anyone else here. I appreciate the help, but seriously after visiting the dealer and seeing both it's got me thinking.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Good Luck with that...

The fact is their design other then it being oval isn't much better than the egg.

Their marketing practices are a whole lot different and they could stand to learn from BGE. The front page of their web site is full untruths. Plus the condone others doing the same mis-leading tactics.

Now if you really want the best at what they do I suggest that you go buy Richard Johnson's Imperial Kamodo. Being best at what they do may not end up being to your liking.

However, don't come into the BGE forum, bad-mouth BGE and than claim ignorance.
  • stike
    ironic, isn't it. since primo was started by someone that left BGE.

seems primo learned a LOT from BGE
  • Celtic Wolf wrote:
    Good Luck with that...

The fact is their design other then it being oval isn't much better than the egg.

Their marketing practices are a whole lot different and they could stand to learn from BGE. The front page of their web site is full untruths. Plus the condone others doing the same mis-leading tactics.

Now if you really want the best at what they do I suggest that you go buy Richard Johnson's Imperial Kamodo. Being best at what they do may not end up being to your liking.

However, don't come into the BGE forum, bad-mouth BGE and than claim ignorance.

Who said I am bad mouthing green egg? I got sold on some of their design choices. I've made no commitments, keep the zealot like comments to yourself.
  • stike wrote:
    ironic, isn't it. since primo was started by someone that left BGE.

seems primo learned a LOT from BGE

Hah, thats pretty funny.