Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pepper Crusted Figgy Miggys - pretty good eats

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I pulled the filets out of the fridge, no marinade, no nothing. 1 3/4 inch cuts of meat, had 4 of them. I rinsed them, patted them dry, and then crushed about an eighth of an inch of tellicherry/pink/green peppercorns, as thick as I could anyway, on all sides of the meat. I fired up my egg to about 800 or so, and put on the steaks for 4 minutes a side, then about 8 minute bake with the vent and top closed, they came out medium rare, tender, juicy and just enough pepper to add a little zing. Pretty good way to do steaks and the flavor of the meat really comes through. I hated to cover up such nice cuts of meat with mustard etc, whether you taste it or not. I was glad I did. Kind of been in the middle if a minimalist mood when it comes to the egg lately. Let the meat speak for itself, dont cover it up with sauces etc. I smoked a brisket last weekend iwth just pepper and salt, it was great. I did that to test some Q sauce I'm working on, wanted to get the flavor of teh sauce right but the plain smoked brisket was awesome.[p]I also have to be somewhat careful with the broken hand to not get sauce and such all over the cast. I would hate to smell this thing after three weeks if it were covered with Q drippings. I'ts already starting to smell like a foot as it is. Cant wait to get it off. The only upside to it is that I can still egg with the cast and I use that hand to open the BGE lid and the flare up doesn't hurt. No need for gloves, lets hope I remember that I have the cast off in the future.[p]Troy

Comments

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    sprinter,[p]Some time the simplist is the best.[p]Elder Ward
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    sprinter,
    The steaks sound fantastic to me! Why wasn't I invited or at least KOC or Guru of Grease?
    I hope the cast was not a "mis-adventure" from the Egg!
    Also sounds like you've "got everything in hand"! :-))))[p]Way to go! Dr. Chicken

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    sprinter,
    I do the very same pepper crust for fresh tuna steaks...the really good sashimi-quality kind that're bright red when raw. Just barely sear them on both sides, slice thin, and that's just great flavor and buttery texture.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• sprinter
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]I thought about asking folks over but the steaks were just too pretty and I wanted them all to myself. hehehe, next time, I still have one leftover in the fridge for lunch which cannot get here soon enough for me.[p]I wish I could say that the broken hand is a result of something cool, like sliding in to home plate making the winning run. NOPE. I was walking up the back steps, stone cold sober, and missed the first step, jammed my hand into the rail, and broke the 4th? metacarple on my right hand. Hurt like the dickens but it started to feel better. I really didn't think it was broken but then the swelling just didnt go down. So, 9 days later I got it X-Rayed, yeppers, broken pretty good. rebreaking and pinning was an option as the bone had shifted and shortened and started to heal but the worst thing that will result is that the finger "may" be a bit crooked, no loss of mobility. So, I just casted it and hope for the best. BUT, has not stopped the egging at all.[p]I'm amazed at how right hand dominant I am, may as well not even have my left one. The simplest things are more difficult now, brushing my teeth, driving a stick shift car, you name it, its more difficult. Oh well, three weeks and it will be off and I'm learning to use my left hand as a result.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    Options
    Elder Ward,[p]Amen to that, I'm learning to appreciate the meat a lot more as a relult of my experiments. Anyone can make edible Q with a good sauce, but make good sauce AND good meat and you really got somethin' worth eating.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    Options
    Gretl,[p]I'm so jealous of those who have access to good fresh seafood. Here in S. IL we get great beef and pork, as fresh as you want it, literally if I want I can go to a nearby processing plant and pick the cuts off of the animal, now thats fresh. But I miss good seafood. I lived in Chicago and the bigger supermarkets all had great meat counters with fresh fish. I keep telling myself that I'm going to do some fish on the egg, hopefully I'll find some soon and give it a whirl. If it tastes as good with the pepper asthe steaks, it will be quite a treat.[p]Troy