Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT ..Waffle batter recipe needed.

Big'un
Big'un Posts: 5,909
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang,
She who must be obeyed, has a Birthday tomorrow and she wanted a waffle iron, among other things. So I was hoping to make some batter or purchase some(if it's good)to go along with her new waffle iron. I need a good recipe. Thanks Gang!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    todd check out the side of a box of bisquick ;)

tell jeannie happy birthday from all of us up here in the cold north... north of atlanta that is :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big'un
    Will do, on both counts. :lol: When are you headed back this way? You didn't pick up your lump this trip,did you?
  • BENTE
    no i had it delivered weekend before last... not sure when we will be back i hope not till november :blush:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big'un
    Thanks Richard, How are doing buddy. I got your message the other day, but it was really late when I got it,so I didn't call you back. Hope all is well, my friend!
  • Big'un
    November!!?? It's December now! You are gonna miss some great parties at my house, and your Mom will disown you.Haha.
  • Hey Todd, Alton Made them last night on the "Good Eats" show. They looked great. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients
    4 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 1 cup
    4 3/4 ounces whole-wheat flour, approximately 1 cup
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons sugar
    3 whole eggs, beaten
    2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
    16 ounces buttermilk, room temperature
    Vegetable spray, for waffle iron
    Directions
    Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flours, soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In another bowl beat together eggs and melted butter, and then add the buttermilk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.

Ladle the recommended amount of waffle batter onto the iron according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Close iron top and cook until the waffle is golden on both sides and is easily removed from iron. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree F oven until ready to serve.
  • Todd,

Don't know a thing about waffles except that Pat likes the Waffle House an awful lot. Just wanted to wish Jeannie a happy birthday from Norma and me.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Big'un
    Thanks, I was watching that at about 3:00am but got called away to do some work(Oh Bother). Thanks.
  • BENTE
    yea proabably true but i am beginning to hope they move somewhere either closer or 10 or so hours away :whistle: or maybe do it at my house next year.. nothing like your own bed

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big'un
    Thanks brother, I know that'll mean alot to her, she really thinks alot of you two.
  • Big'un
    Believe me, I understand! But do you really want me throwing all my parties at your house this year? :evil:
  • if you are making belgium waffles I have one that my family loves. It is from Cook's Illustrated

Yeasted Belgium waffles.

The batter must be made 12 to 24 hours in advance. We prefer the texture of the waffles made in a classic waffle iron, but a Belgian waffle iron will work, though it will make fewer waffles. The waffles are best served fresh from the iron but can be held in an oven until all of the batter is used. As you make the waffles, place them on a wire rack set above a baking sheet, cover them with a clean kitchen towel, and place the baking sheet in a 200-degree oven. When the final waffle is in the iron, remove the towel to allow the waffles to crisp for a few minutes. These waffles are quite rich; buttering them before eating is not compulsory and, to some, may even be superfluous.
    INGREDIENTS

1 3/4 cups whole milk , or low-fat milk, or skim milk

8 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into 8 pieces

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (10 ounces)

1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon table salt

1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Heat milk and butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat until butter is melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Cool milk/butter mixture until warm to touch. Meanwhile, whisk flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in large bowl to combine. Gradually whisk warm milk/butter mixture into flour mixture; continue to whisk until batter is smooth. In small bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla until combined, then add egg mixture to batter and whisk until incorporated. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula, cover bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 12 and up to 24 hours.
    2. Following manufacturer’s instructions, heat waffle iron; remove waffle batter from refrigerator when waffle iron is hot (batter will be foamy and doubled in size). Whisk batter to recombine (batter will deflate). Bake waffles according to manufacturer’s instructions (use about ½ cup for 7-inch round iron and about 1 cup for 9-inch square iron). Serve waffles immediately or hold in low temperature oven (see above note).

Wish your wife a happy birtday for us
  • BENTE
    one or two would work

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• and i thought you were partial to those sweet cream waffles from the 'awful house'!!!!. .. dems my favorite!!. .i'd love to have that recipe!!
  • Big'un
    Thanks for the recipe and the well-wishes!
  • BENTE
    you m ight want to read richard's reply.. and if you remember correctly i ordered the same thing i always do:::: ham and cheese omlet wheat plate scattered covered and chunked

in fact if you can decipher wh writing you can proabably see my order :whistle:

DSCN1164.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• LOL. ..i forgot you ordered the "diet" platter that morning!!... .and i saw richard's response!! ...now i have a craving for an awful house sweet cream waffle!!!. .damn, closest waffle house is about 25 miles away though. ..around here all we have are those fru-fru places that serve those big belgian waffles. .. not nearly as good!!. . .oh well. ...
  • BENTE
    do we need to figure out how to ship them to you?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    FWIW I made that recipe a couple weeks ago and was not impressed.
  • Fidel
    Most definitely give her my best wishes for a Happy Day and hug her neck for me.

You have a special woman. I hope she enjoys her waffles.
  • Fidel
    You mean you drove within 2 miles of my house and didn't stop by to replenish your stock? Not even to say hello?

Wow, feelin' the love..... :(
  • Thanks for the update. I'll guess I skip that one.

BTW after seeing your post about the deepdish, it reminded me of how good it tasted. I wipped up one last night, and cheated, I used canned pizza sauce and it was way too salty. Lesson learned, to do it right, do it yourself. Pictures are still in the camera, I'll up load them this weekend when I get back home.
    I like the Aunt Jamima mix at the grocery ... not the complete, but the one you add fresh eggs and EVOO ... you can use buttermilk instead of regular milk ... hope your wife has a Happy Birthday

David
  • Honestly, I use a quick recipe of Bisquick, eggs, vanilla and milk. My secret, however, is to separate the eggs, whipping the whites until they're almost stiff, then folding them into the Bisquick mixture just before putting the batter into the iron. They come out nice and fluffy that way.
  • Here are two that are hits at my place...
    The Whole Wheat is requested the most often.
    CORNMEAL WAFFLES
    Dad's Kitchen
    Adapted from Joy of Cooking (Bobbs-Merril) (Scribner)

Yields 4 to 6 waffles

2 eggs
    1-3/4 C. milk
    1 C. cake flour (or 7/8 C. all-purpose flour)
    1 C. yellow cornmeal
    2-1/2 t. baking powder
    1 T. sugar
    1/2 t. salt
    1/4 C. oil

WHOLE WHEAT WAFFLES
    Dad's Kitchen
    Adapted from Ruth Delgehausen

Yields 4 waffles

2 eggs
    1 C. buttermilk (or 3 T. dried cultured butter milk and 1 C. milk)
    1 C. whole wheat flour
    1-1/2 t. baking powder
    1/4 t. salt
    1/4 C. oil
    1/2 t. vanilla

1)) Sift together the dry ingredients

2)) Whisk the eggs, add the milk and combine with the dry ingredients, stirring together with a few quick strokes, then blending in the oil.

JB's TIPS

Waffle batter should be slightly stiff, not runny, and not sticky. Adjusting the liquid may be necessary.

Even though I use olive oil for most EVERYTHING, I use Canola oil here.

Regarding "cake flour" / all-purpose flour; I have no idea what the major differences are. The flour of choice here at Dad's is an all-purpose unbleached, which we use in everything.

We always have dried Butter Milk, SACO brand, on hand. It will last for ever!
  • I know there are better tasting recipes like some of those listed below but when it comes to "EZ" recipes this one works for me.

bisquick_shake_and_pour_buttermilk_.jpg

Instead of just adding water, add some oil and an egg. Shake like the dickens and pour into your Texas Waffle iron. Comes out looking like this when reheated on the griddle in the Egg like at 2007 Eggtoberfest.

LonelyTexasWaffle-1.jpg

Good for a designer snack.

Spring "He Who Waffles Is Lost" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Here is one that I have been using for twenty five years plus.

4 eggs
    3 cups sifted all purpose flour
    5 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 1/4 cups milk
    1 tbs vanilla
    3/4 cup butter melted

Process eggs in your food processor for one minute.
    Stir in dry ingredients and process while gradually adding the milk and vanilla.Add cooled butter and blend till smooth.Put in in the waffle iron and enjoy.I like mine a little crisp and when the steam stops coming out of the iron I pull them off.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Todd,

Tell Jeannie that Ginny & I said

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY".....

good luck with the waffles....