Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you cooking?

Options
Hammer
Hammer Posts: 1,001
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Weekends here, so what are you cooking tonight, or this weekend?
Hammer

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hammer,
    The cookers are gonna be cold tonight here. Chinese New Year celebration at the in-laws, and a huge celebration it is! Every female in the entire family (Lan has seven sisters) has been putting in hours of prearation. This is gonna be a righteous spread of freshly prepared Vietnamese food. Shrimp/crab/pork spring rolls. Big pot of beef soup. Shrimp salads with finely shredded veggies and roasted peanuts...served on fried shrimp crackers. Another great salad with Green papaya and chinese beef jerky. Desserts made with mung beans, red beans, sugar and coconut milk...gelatinous rice. Plus more stuff I don't know about.[p]I guess I didn't do to well hiding the fact that I am pretty pumped. The guys? Well, seems like the tradition is that the guys sit around and drink and eat and laugh and bring positive energy into the household! Can't complain about that philosophy....it seems to be working. hehe.[p]Happy New Year!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • laker
    laker Posts: 10
    Options
    Hammer,[p]Gonna cook 2 whole chickens, beer-but style, and I have a question. I do not have any woodchips and was wondering if they are really necessary. My wife says no, but two receipe's I saw in the poultry recipe section recommended sugar maple.[p]Is there really that much difference in taste with and without the woodchips? We are rookie BGE cookers.[p]Thanks,[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Laker,
    The lump alone will give you plenty of smoke flavor (at least for most people). If you find you like it smokier add some chips next time. Poultry is very easy to oversmoke.[p]HTH! Beers.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • laker
    laker Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks NB...That's the answer I was looking for.
  • docrjh
    docrjh Posts: 21
    Options
    Hammer,
    Got my brisket on 15.5 hrs now. 194 deg. presently. Looking forward to the final result.[p]docrjh

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Hammer:[p]Racks of lamb and mushrooms stuffed with crab . . .[p]By the way, there is interest in the Georgia legislature to do away with laws against out of state wine shipments. I hope progress is made for wine lovers here!
    [/b]
  • Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    meatloaf.jpg
    <p />Hammer,[p]We are cooking meatloaf right now. 350deg for 1 1/2 hour... or until internal is 160deg. Tonight its taking a tad longer for some reason, not sure why. Anyway, we use a recipe we have enjoyed for some time. Turns out good done on the egg.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Hammer,[p]Tonight, just a plain old bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich, heavy on the mayo, with fried taters on the side for me... followed by a couple PBR's and maybe a shot of shine and in bed by 10.[p]This pup is way too pooped to pop.[p]So, you didn't tell us what you got cookin.
    Hey, what about those fellas down below in this thread... there's some serious fare going on here![p]Large beers to y'all.
    WD

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Hammer,
    it's pizza night here and my pizza is my wife's favorite item off the BGE! While I love it too then for tomorrow I have a rack of baby backs rubbed down ready to go - ALL FOR ME - as like a few others here, my wife doesn't care for anybody's ribs at all! Such a shame I have to address the consumption of the entire rack...woe with me...8^)
    BTW what is a good wine you would recommend with a fine pizza - as this beauty is not in the beer class.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dave's Not Here
    Options
    SalmonCedar0804.JPG
    <p />Hammer,
    Just going to have some of the estimated 10 lbs of leftovers in the freezer.[p]But just to practice my Egging skills, I decided to try my first bread, a focaccia recipe from FoodTV. The dough is rising now and the stones are heating up.[p]Meanwhile, the pic is from last night's salmon. After many great salmons in the past, this was absolutely the best. On cedar, but with a little higher temp than usual, about 375° for 30 minutes or so.[p]A little down tonight,
    Dave

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Hammer,[p]I just did some simple pork chops with salt/pepper and dried herbes de provence. On the side was some broccoli and cauliflower topped with yellow American cheese.[p]Very simple fare to be followed by a few beers.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hammer,
    Hi,
    I started out to make hamburger patties, added some green onion,shredded zucchini,bell pepper,a bit of 4 blend mexican cheese, a small piece of bacon cooked and then broken into bits,a little basil (fresh) Dizzy Dust and some Big Chief BBQ sauce.......then I decided to throw an egg and some bread crumbs in and call it a meatloaf. Probably salad to go with it.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Does that sound wonderful! [p]My wife and I had our treat at lunch today with a couple of big bowls of Pho, some iced coffee, and split a Banh Mi (sp) sammich (it ain't pulled, but it sure is good!) I had Pho every day this past week for lunch...4 different restaurants in the Minneapolis/St Paul area. I'm Greek, and I appreciate good food. The soup can't be beat![p]Everybody in our favorite little restaurant had smiles on their faces, and they were dressed to the nines.[p]Have a great evening! Happy New Year![p]Mike in MN

• DrEgg
    DrEgg Posts: 38
    Options
    100-0014_IMG.JPG?dc=4675407920738332773
    <p />Hammer,[p]Rack of lamb, zucchini squash and corn on the cob. Somehow, went through two bottles of wine and a 6 pack. My wife's parents came over and we had the usual great time It's always great to share BGE food with your loved ones. Simply no substitute. Family rules![p]DrEgg
  • DrEgg
    Options
    100-0011_IMG.JPG?dc=4675407920715960765
    <p />Had to add an action shot.
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    DrEgg:[p]Ain't nuth'in better than grilled lamb . . .
    [/b]
  • DrEgg
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]You sehd it brutha.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    DrEgg,
    i did my first rack fairly recently, and I am hooked. I call 'em Lamb Lolipops. Nice lookin' meal there, Dr!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    DrEgg,[p]Wow, that looks wonderful! How did you do the zucchini? Also, what was the dome temp and timing you used for the lamb racks? I assume direct?[p]QBabe
    :~)

• DrEgg
    Options
    100-0012_IMG.JPG?dc=4675408006170243085
    <p />QBabe,[p]Thanks. I just drizzled the zucchini with olive oil and tossed with salt, pepper, and a few crushed red pepper flakes. Grilled directly on the grid for a few minutes per side.[p]Actually, I cooked the lamb indirect at around 300 - 350. Took it out when meat temp hit 130. Then wrapped in foil for about twenty minutes. Got this method from Cook's Illustrated grilling book. I've done it direct in the past, but this definitely turned out better. But I didn't use meat temp before either.[p]Kind of an expensive dinner for four, but man was it good![p]DrEgg
  • Hammer
    Options
    DrEgg,
    Doc, that is one great looking rack of lamb and veges. I sure wish you would post the recipe you used for the lamb. I'll try it this weeek if you would.
    Thanks
    Hammer

• Hammer
    Options
    Dave's Not Here,
    Good looking fish. How about posting the recipe; etc;
    Thanks
    Hammer

• Hammer
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    It was real simple toight. I cooked Baby Back, lo and slo.
    Fresh Corn, and zucchini, and washed it all down with Michelob Ultra, and Rancho Zabaco Dry Creek Zinfandel.
    Good to hear from you John!
    Mitch

• Hammer
    Options
    Boccie,
    The meatloaf looks good. I've never did a meat loaf, so please post your "Old Recipe"
    Thanks
    Hammer

• Hammer
    Options
    djm5x9,
    I was told that this past week. I was also informed that there was a move to increase the excise tax's on alcohol as well. Georgia to the best of my knowledge currently has the the highest excise tax's in the United States.
    Good luck with the direct shipping law, and keeping the new tax's off.
    Hammer

• Hammer
    Options
    Laker,
    The Nature Boy told you right. I yield to his expertise, and advice, everytime.
    Hammer

• Hammer
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    That sounds like a great feast. It reminds me of my two year vacation in Vietnam, at several of the restaurants, in the 60's, paid for by the United States Marines.
    Happy New Year to Lan.
    Hammer

• Dave's Not Here
    Options
    Hammer, thanks for the complement.[p]Salmon from Publix (have had pretty good luck by only buying fish on Friday afternoon), skin on, marinated for an hour or so in EV olive oil, inexpensive white wine, and a little sesame oil. Topped with a little (too much) dried dill (will try fresh next time), and smoked with one large piece of alder wood. It probably needed to cook a bit longer for most tastes, but as soon as it easily pulls apart, it done for me.
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Hammer,
    We just posted it in the new recipe section. The first one has a typo on the garlic amounts, so use the second recipe. We cook ours to 160*, usually it takes about an hour, but for some reason the other night, it took almost 1 1/2 hours. I think I might need to check my BGE thermometer.Hope ya like it. Here is a link to the correct version. [p]~nikki

[ul][li]Meatloaf[/ul]
  • DrEgg
    Options
    Hammer,[p]I got the cooking technique from Cook's Illustrated. Indirect, 350 degrees. Pull at 130 internal. Wrap in foil and towels for 20 minutes. I did put a rub on the outside, but I cannot find the recipe (bummer!). I got it from an Argentinian restaurant in Miami. Has cocoa and some other stuff. I will keep looking and let you know if I find it.[p]Hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you need more details.[p]DrEgg