Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cooking Times/Temps Question

RayRay Posts: 59
edited 3:30AM in EggHead Forum
Hi Folks![p]I'm still learning the in's and out's of cooking with my BGE, so I thought I ask the "eggsperts." Here's my dilemma...my cooking times/temps always need "bumping-up" (i.e., higher temps and longer cooking times) from what the BGE recipes recommend (despite having a large BGE, using a BGE temp-gauge, daisy wheel, and BGE charcoal). What am I doing wrong?[p]Let me give you a couple of examples: My wife and I cook 1.5" thick filet mignons at 450-degrees for 1 hour to get them medium well (slightly pink in the center). I just cooked a 7.5 lb. Perdue Oven Roaster chicken for four hours at 450-degrees, yet the core temp (as measured by a remote core temp indicator purchased from my local BGE dealer BBQ store) only reached 160-degrees (still 20-degrees below what temp is suggested for poultry). By the way, I always set the chicken on a sitter, which is placed in a drip-pan - both purchased from BGE direct. Both the bird and the steaks are fully defrosted when I place them on the grill.[p]I'd like to try a turkey on my BGE one day, but I'm afraid I don't have 22 hours to cook one! What am I missing? Your insight would be greatly appreciated![p]Ray
·

Comments

• MarvinMarvin Posts: 515
    Ray,
    Have you calibrated the dome thermometer? From your examples it would appear that the thermometer is off. Put it in boiling water and see what it says.

·
  • BordelloBordello Posts: 5,926
    Ray,
    One hour filets, wow. I do mine at about 550° direct, about 3min. per side and a dwell of about 4 to 6 min. depending on how you like the center. Mine are a little red in the center but everyone seems to rave about em. I usually rub em with a little olive oil and some Dizzy Pig Cowlick rub, wrap them in saran wrap and leave em sit 4 days in the fridge, they cut like soft butter. If you raise your temps,watch out for the flashback.[p]Good Luck,
    New Bob

·
  • GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    FAQ_do3.jpg
    <p />Ray, either calibrate or get a new thermometer! [p][p]
    [ul][li]Calibrating the Dome Thermometer[/ul]
    ·
  • ShelbyShelby Posts: 803
    Ray,
    One additional point in calibrating the thermometer. If you look closely on the dial, there is a mark at 212 for boiling water. Adjust it accordingly and you should be fine.
    Let's us know if you've already done this and are still having problems. Good cooking!

·
  • RayRay Posts: 59
    Looks like you folks were dead on the money...the thermo was off about 150-degrees - "450" was really 300! Can't wait to try those filets now![p]Thanks again!!![p]Ray

·