Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cracks

Options
bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone else have cracks in the ceramic ring? I have noticed several cracks in my firebox over the last several months, and it has not effected the BGE performance in the least. Ed has even offered to ship a new one to me without even seeing the cracked one...now that's service! Two weeks ago I noticed a vertical crack in the ceramic ring which holds the grill. Again, there's been no effect on performance. Anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Brad,
    I did a thorough inspection of my Lg BGE this past Saturday as I was loadin' it up to take down to da in-laws. Nearly 19 months if I 'member right and neither the firebox or the fire ring or the bottom grate have cracks in them. I've been Q'ing all winter long, 'cept when I was out of commission! (Knock on wood!) I hope it keeps going like that too![p]Next I'll need to check the Mr. Small out![p]Dr. Chicken

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]Yes, I had cracks in my fire box, and fire ring which I replaced at my local egg dealer without hassel or charge. Last weekend I got my new fire grate - mine cracked the weekend before last. Not many other have reported cracks in the fire ring.
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]My large has a long crack in the fire box that appeared suddenly and has been very slowly growing for the last year and a half. Both the large and small fire grates are in two pieces. The fire rings are fine.[p]Both still cook like champs.[p]Spin

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bdavidson,
    I have a crack in my fire ring. The only way I noticed it was because I took it out during a thorough cleaning, and when I set it down it made a funny sound. Sure enough there is a vertical crack all the way thru on one side. I assume it will only crack on one side, as it now has room to expand and contract!![p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    COALPILE2.JPG
    <p />bdavidson, if you run enough charcoal through Mr. Humpty, you are bound to get a crack. My firering and firebox are both cracked. Firering is 2, nearly perfectly matched halves. Firebox is three pieces but they all fit together and stand up great. I suggested to Ed Fisher that they experiment with interlocking pieces that fit loosly together. Dove-tail if you will. That way the stress and expansion should be dissipated through the joints. It seems like everybodys cracks are pretty much the same. I think mine broke during the winter of 97. I went away for Christmas and my egg cooled down for the first time. I'm on my third fire grate, and as you can see from the picture,, I go through a lot of lump. My dealer first said we may be bumping too hard during coal stirring. Then he found his broke too. Nothing like insight. "Damn The Cracks, Full Speed Ahead Mateys"

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Wrong assumption NB. Mine cracked all the way up one side and has another on the other side about 1/3 the way down though not all the way through the thickness of the ring. Not in 2 pieces yet though and still cooks awesome Q.[p]Troy
  • Marty
    Marty Posts: 16
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    Just out of curriosity, have you used high temps (700 degrees plus) to cook steaks? Mine cracked while I was cooking steaks at high temps and I was wondering if thats the cause.

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Marty,
    I've tried the high temperature approach a number of times, but I wasn't happy with the results. Both my wife & son, along with me prefer the mid-level approach to steaks. It does not help the matter, that I like my steak rare to med. rare. My son & wife like them med. rare to not quite medium. Those high temps. just seem to over cook the steaks, no matter how quickly I pull them off! I know it must be my fumble finger approach to using the methiod, but it don't work for me!
    Sorry 'bout that, but I guess that's what you wanted to know.[p]Dr. Chicken