Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Its here . .we are cooking (2)

Options
MW
MW Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wow... now I know what I am going to do tomorrow.
I don't have the vertical rack for turkey, but I DO have a chicken a 4Lb yard bird. WOuld love to smoke it tomorrow...while I get some chores done. Any tips (Ha!) must I do it over a tray?...low heat? 130 or so?...let me know your thoughts...
Love ya all!
MW

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    MW, Yup..easy to do![p]Usually a sitter is used for a whole bird, but other options are available..You can try for a beer butt chicken and use a aluminum can half full of beer..Drink the top half. [p]Brining the bird is the better method..but if not then wash and dry thoroughly, rub olive oil on the outside and inside.[p]Powder your favorite rubs..or plain Lawreys Garlic salt on the exterior and interior. Or plain Mortons Kosher salt and pepper. Lots of or's!! [p]You can use a drip pan and a second small grill laying on that one..I use one of my three tier baking racks that KennyG introduced to the forum over a year ago or so. They are nice to clean up as they are coated with non stick. Made by Roshko for Bakers Advantage. These are also great for doing multiple racks of ribs laying flat.[p]I like higher heat..300 to 375 in that range. If doing it directly on the grill then drop the temp down to around 275 to 300. Like turkey, you want a breast temp of around 165 to 170... Then remove and tent it in foil, let it rest 20 minutes and carve it.[p]Time will be around 2 to 2.5 hours or 30 minutes per lb. depending of course on the temperature zone.[p]Lots of different methods and recipes are available and most older cooks use the ceramic Willys Chicken sitters available from The Barbeque Store...Cheers...
    C~W[p][p]

• MW
    Options
    Char-Woody,thank you for your saged advice. A naive questions: Must you ALWAYS use a drip pan with chicken?
    Also, what is the longest and lowest I can smoke this for.[p]The egg is wonderfull and this forum is such a great help.
    Regards
    MW

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    MW,[p]I do chickens without a drip pan if I'm cooking fairly hot (300-350 dome temp); with if I'm cooking low and slow. I add water to the pan which makes it a more effective buffer against direct heat.[p]Inspired by a friend who slow-smokes chicken for hours, I did one for 6 hours at a dome temp of 220. It was very moist and tender (I'd brined it before cooking) and the skin was crisped in spots - though not as crispy as chicken cooked at higher heat. I could probably have let it go longer but we got hungry. ;-}[p]So there are lots of ways to do chicken & achieve a good result. Experiment and have fun![p]Cathy

• MW
    Options
    Cat, thank you, I think I will go for the low and slow, and rig it up so its over a drip pan. The main point I am learning here (new egg day 2!) is experiment!!!
    Thnaks MW

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    MW, Excellent advice from Cat..and low and slow will deepen the smoke absorbtion of the meat..Starting with your smoking woods at 200 for hour or so with poultry,,then start upping the temps as Cat suggested.[p]I will be off line doing computer upgrading for a few days...Cheers..C~W

• Elder Ward
    Options
    MW,[p]Go for the Gold MW.[p]Elder Ward