Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Fat Cap

Options
WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have always bought boston butts at my grocery store but today I stocked up on some from Sam's. These have a pretty thick fat cap on them compared to what I'm used to. Should I trim that off so I get bark on all sides or do I leave it on?[p]Bob

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    I'd leave it on. Rub/season as normal. You could put some slits in it and add some garlic and herbs to the slits....or just leave it alone. When you pull the pork, you will find the meat to be very nice under the fat cap. It is "bark" free, but it is juicy![p]You might cook with the cap on the top to allow the juices from the at to pass down and through the meat.[p]Mike in MN

• WudEyeDoo,
    For competition we would take off that cap, there is plenty of fat left in the butt, but Mike's way is wrong, that works to.
    Jim

• Jim Minion,
    Excuse me Mike that is NOT wrong.
    Jim

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    Got to agree - I'm not much of a bark fancier anyway, so I do my "family butts" untrimmed. (Probably goes back to my childhood - "I paid good money for that, and by God you'll eat it.") Bark looks real nice for contest presentation, so I trim there.
    Ken