Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mailorder Salmon?

Stoneseller
Stoneseller Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife & I eat a lot of salmon.
Everything in the local markets theses days is "previously frozen"

I'm wanting to order 10 to 20 lbs of wild alaskan sockeye, or possibly even Copper River fillets.
Google turns up hundreds of sellers.

I'm looking for seller recommendations from the good cooks here. Any input appreciated.

David in MD

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    those mail order places will be shipping frozen fish also. Especially the Copper River that were harvested back in April.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Reading my first post I realized I did not clarify I'm shopping for frozen.
    I thought if I buy frozen & thaw when I want it, I'd be better off than buying the thawed stuff at the grocery store. At least I'd know how long it has been thawed when doing it in my own fridge.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    You might ping AlaskanC - she has connections with sources of salmon fresh from the water.
  • Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    I have ordered from Sea Bear with good success.

www.seabear.com/?gclid=CP2-jYaknZcCFRlRagodpD9H-A
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    We eat a lot of salmon also. As long as your getting the wild alaskan salmon even if it's frozen it's going to be your best bet. As soon as it's caught they flash freeze it and your going to have a better product. We used to buy large quantities of Copper River King salmon every year when it was in season. Don't waste your money on it. After spending time in Alaska and speaking with the locals we were told if you get wild alaskan king salmon (not sockeye),it's just as good if not better. Most people can't taste any difference when put side by side. Copper River Salmon has become a big marketing thing and if you order it online or purchase locally it's $30/lb. If you have a reputable fish market near you stick with them and get wild alaskan king salmon.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    I think AlaskaC recommended these 2 companies. Alaska Hook & Line Seafoods, Absolute Fresh Seafoods. I would link you up but I don't know how to copy a link into this forum or anywhere else. Good luck Tom
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EggME
    EggME Posts: 116
    I've bought the salmon (frozen) at Sam's Club in individual wrapped packages (it comes in a bag)and it's very good.

Just an idea.

Pam
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Alaska salmon will hit Wal-Mart freezers
    BRISTOL BAY: Goal is to put focus on sustainable seafood.
    The Associated Press
    Published: November 23rd, 2008 12:13 AM
    Last Modified: November 23rd, 2008 12:49 AM
    JUNEAU -- Some of Alaska's finest sockeye salmon is hitting Wal-Mart's frozen food sections.

Wal-Mart says it is stocking Bristol Bay wild salmon in 233 of its stores throughout the western United States.

Trout Unlimited, a Virginia-based fisheries advocacy group, said this development shows that high-end shoppers aren't the only ones conscious of where fish is caught.

"It's not just a high-income-bracket thing to want to know where your food comes from," said Tim Bristol of Trout Unlimited.

The effort is part of a broad pledge to buy and encourage suppliers toward sustainable seafood, according to the Bentonville, Ark.-based company.

In this case it would be wild fresh and frozen fish for North American markets from fisheries certified as sustainable by the London-based Marine Stewardship Council.

The initiative also is part of the company's slogan "Saving people money, so they can live better," an effort to piggyback on high-priced food retailers, such as Whole Foods Market.

Wal-Mart is combining efforts with the MSC, the World Wildlife Foundation and Conservation International. The store currently offers 22 products that carry the MSC label.

MSC's Web site says five of the top 25 North American retailers have deals to get MSC-certified seafood, and most of the rest are discussing it. The council reports that it certifies about 60 percent of the volume of fish harvested in the United States.

Other fisheries groups such as the United Fishermen of Alaska, the Alaska Independent Fisherman's Marketing Association and Nunamta Aulukestai have also praised Wal-Mart for its investment in the region.

Bristol said he would like for deals such as this to help publicize controversy over Bristol Bay development. Anyone in the Lower 48 states enjoying Alaska's fish will begin to take a vested interest.

"You can vote with your fork," he said. "You can ask more about the fisheries, Bristol Bay, the threat it faces. It's a really good way to get the word out about Pebble (Mine) and create jobs for people in Bristol Bay and elsewhere."

Last year's Bristol Bay sockeye harvest was its highest in eight years. The harvest was worth an estimated $109 million, a quarter of the state's total salmon harvest.

Alaska permit holders received 44 percent of that, and out-of-state residents got the rest, according to the Alaska Department of Labor.
  • Chochi
    Chochi Posts: 16
    Absolute Fresh Fish is based out of Sitka
    http://absolutefreshseafoods.com/

Or up in Anchorage there is 10th and M
    They are pretty good.

Yeah a lot of the product at the stores looks nasty. It has been thawed out, been sitting there, looks all dry and gross. It gives seafood a bad name. You should see what a fresh salmon looks like.

All the seafood stores in Alaska process and freeze salmon right when it hits the dock. Boats are only allowed to hold fish for 6-7 days on ice. Then it has to be delivered and processed. Right now the winter king salmon fishery is open, however due to weather and lack of salmon-there is not an abundance of fresh king salmon. And there is NO FRESH COHO right now. NO FRESH HALIBUT either. All those fisheries are closed!! So if you go to the store and see FRESH Alaskan halibut, it is fresh frozen. For more information you can look at ASMI (Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute) website. They have lots of information, or the Alaska Department of Fish and Game to see what is in season.