Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thin crust pizza attempt

Options
Animal Eater
Animal Eater Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
thincrust.JPG
<p />This is the thinnest crust I've made to date. 450F for about 8 minutes. Jack and mozzarella mix. Cracker thin. Good results.

Comments

• IQ
    IQ Posts: 16
    Options
    Animal Eater,
    Good looking pie! it's lunch & all I have is a cold sandwich wish I had a slice or three of that pizza.[p]I am searching for a new crust, what recipe did you use?[p]Lewis

• Animal Eater
    Options
    IQ,
    1 cup of milk (100 degrees F), 2 tsp Kosher salt, 1 tbsp yeast, 1 tbsp sugar and let it bloom for 10 minutes.
    Three cups of bread flour in a stand mixer and slowly add the milk/yeast slurry until the dough comes together. Knead with dough hook for 15 minutes and let rise over night in the fridge. Sometimes I add a little cornmeal too....
    Good luck[p]

• Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    Animal Eater,
    I'm not too familiar with making bread (I've done it maybe 5 times total), and have never done an overnight rise. Is there no need to punch down if doing it this way?[p]Also, if I wanted to make extra dough all at once, once it's risen, can I put it in the freezer? How long will it be good in the freezer, and what do you do once you want to use it. Thanks--from the looks of the pizza's you've been posting, you seem to be quite an expert.[p]Aron

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Animal Eater,
    I could kill for a thin pizza crust like that! It looks just perfect. I have had lots of good advice from the Forum on doing pizza dough, but I think I must be jinxed or something; mine always fights back. I have the toppings like I want and #%$#/*& I'm going to get that crust yet. Thanks for the renewed inspiration.

• IQ
    IQ Posts: 16
    Options
    Animal Eater,
    Thanks, Pizza night is on the way.[p]

• Animal Eater
    Options
    Thanks Aron.
    No, I've never "punched down". I just use it after 24 hours and it naturally deflates when I shape it.
    Regarding freezing: good questions (which just means that I can't answer them). I seldom have leftovers because the dough is great for focaccia bread and garlic knots. If you find out, let me know about freezing it...[p]

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Gloria,
    Sounds like you're trying to work too fast. For my pizza dough I let it rise once, knead briefly and roll it out with a rolling pin. Roll in one direction, then flip it so you roll in a different direction. (Pause, however, to take a sip of your libation while admiring your handiwork.) Rolling stretches the glutens in the flour, and they need a moment to relax. Continue rolling, pausing, and turn/flipping till you get the size and shape you want.
    Ken

• Animal Eater,[p]You can freeze pizza dough and it will last in the freezer several months. Let your dough rise, punch it down and seperate it into portions. Flatten the portions and wrap in heavy plastic and then put in freezer bags. To thaw out dough put in the fridge the night before. Let the dough get to room temp before shaping and rolling. Hope this helps ;)[p]Just Me

• Animal Eater,[p]Forgot to tell you your pizza looked great. We cooked some focasia (sp?) bread last night but didn't have the digital camera at home to take any pics.