Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1/2 of topic

Options
Joel Ferman
Joel Ferman Posts: 243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
P1260045.JPG
<p />Well it seems as though you guys know a lot about..... well everything, so I wanted to ask your opinion on pet birds. I have never owned one before, and was thinking about getting a parakeet, a love bird, or a cocatiel (sp?) for my first bird. Any thoughts/suggestions?
-Joel
oh yeah, to keep this somewhat BGE related, here are a few HI-RES pictures.[p]P1260047.JPG[p]P1260048.JPG[p]P1260050.JPG[p]

Comments

• Joel Ferman,
    Personally I love cornish game hens. They're small enough for one, and they taste great.

• Joel Ferman, I would not bother with a parakeet as they are too small. I am pretty sure love birds are related to doves so they should be okay and relatively inexpensive. I would probably go with a cockatiel or even a parrot as they are larger birds, but probably even more expensive.[p]I know you have exotic and expensive tastes, but why you would want to eat any of these birds is beyond me.[p]Beverages,[p]JDB[p]
  • ThunderThud,
    I would go ahead and get a chicken in case someone else wants some.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Joel Ferman,

Morning Joel:[p] Food looks great, but is it possible to downsize to 600-400 so we can get a better look ?[p]Earl

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    Joel Ferman,[p]Those love birds are hard to stuff..specially with the large thumbs that run in my family..I would go with something bigger..but that's just me. Do you have small thumbs ?[p]StumpBaby

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    I was pretty much thinking the same as everyone else. I don't think any of the options you listed would look near as good or be near as tasty as those pics.
    Just wonder though...we have the turducken. What would it be called if you had a deboned parakeet, stuffed with a love bird all stuffed into a cockateal(sp?)?
    Just a little food for thought!

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Shelby,
    The res is too high for me: I can't even see Joel's pix.
    One caution on the authenticity of the menu, I just heard the Italian govt. has outlawed the use of song birds for "culinary purposes" so you wouldn't want to marinate in Italian dressing.
    Ken

• Or Joel,
    If you have a large enough back yard in your apt.place, why not just go for an ostrich. I think they really are accessible and 'The Joy of Cooking' says one egg can feed up to twelve.

• StumpBaby
    Options
    Zippy Lee Iskowitz,[p]Oooh..I don't go near Ostrich's..they scare the majeebers outta me. Momma and poppa took us into the big city once and we went to the zoo..I told momma we shoulda left Beulah behind..I think the monkeys were far too interested in her..there was a big one what really shoulda been wearin pants...poppa yelled to that monkey that it ain't polite to point..some people we don't even know were laughing at that...sometimes poppa sure is fun to be around..but that's usually the times momma is mad at him for something or other.[p]We saw one monkey that was really mad..her name was LuLu...and she was in a cage all by herself..LuLu sure was screamin something awful..grampa said it sounded like momma when Jeff was bein born..cept the monkey wasn't cus'n..I don't blame momma..out of all of us Jeff's got the biggest cranium..and that's saying a lot..I seen a baby picture of Jeff..and you look at that picture and you pray that he came from an egg and that some poor women didn't have to pass that...poppa seems to agree..he said after Jeff was born things sure were different..I agree..Jeff did change things a lot...for one thing..when he was real small, he was alwyas leanin on people so he didn't fall over..gramma was right though..over time his neck filled in enough to carry all that weight..but it sure took its time that's all.[p]Anyway.. LuLu was mad cause she was too hot..grampa said she was in heat...I can say one thing..there was something there what looked like a wrinkled ol' catchers mit..that sure was shagnasty..it sure looked like it hurt too..I tol poppa we should try and cool that monkey down...poppa just laughed and said it's a normal animal thing..I tol poppa we should make sure Beulah has enough water..I didn't wanna see that happen..poppa..laughed long and hard over that one.[p]At the end of the day we came upon the Ostrich's. Those Ostrich's sure are smart birds...there was one Ostrich that looked like it had some kinda problem..a coupla the other Ostrich's would git up behind it and try to push it...I asked momma what was goin on ..and she said the Ostrich in the front was sick..and the one in the back was trying to push it to the doctors..that's mighty nice..I thought..until I seen what them Ostrichs were really pushing with..that looked like it mighta hurt worse than whatever the original problem was..sorta like rubbin salt in them wounds..grampa said they were what he called horny Ostrich's..I tol momma their heads were lumpy..but I didn't see any horns comin out..sometimes momma just shakes her head..and gives grampa a hairy eyeball. I don't think I'd wanta be a sick Ostrich..was no wonder that one in the front had that look on its face..god..that's gotta hurt somethin awful.[p]Joel, I don;t think I'd be gettin me one of them Ostrich's..just in case you get sick..that wouldn't be very comfortable...couse they may be good eatin though.[p]StumpBaby[p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Zippy Lee Iskowitz:[p]Or SB can just pay a visit to D'Angelo's . . . Sonny can fix him up!
    [/b]
  • StumpBaby
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]D'Angelo's ? Sonny ?[p]StumpBaby
  • usagrilling
    Options
    Joel Ferman, The wife and I own several birds. If you wish email me. I will respond tommorrow after work. Thomas
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Stumpy, look below.

[ul][li]Please Click Here[/ul]
  • WooDoggies,
    There's gonna be a cookoff in Philly this Summer at Veterans Stadium. Big prize money. I think I'll stop by D'Angelos when I'm in the neighborhood.
    [/b]