Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

THE BUNNY IS COMING!

Options
disabledDK
disabledDK Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone! It won't be long until the Easter holiday is here. It wasn't long ago when everyone was posting turkey ideas, but I wanted to open the can of worms again and ask some eggly advice on turkeys. I've never brined and/or injected/marinate a turkey yet. I will be doing the turkey for Easter (as in the past), but wanted to surprise the family this year with something a little different. Any suggestions/comments/questions. I'm leaning towards the injection method, nothing spicy though. All help is greatly appreciated.[p]DK

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    DK,[p]I've tried injection and would recommend against it. Injection requires multiple (many, many) small injections to infuse a flavor throughout the meat. To turn the meat into a pin cushion of moisture leaking holes in the effort to add moisture and flavor is (in MHO) not worth the effort.[p]Turkey is a great meal and the meat can be infused with a flavor without the work of injection. The technique requires only rubbing the meat (under the skin) with a spice mixture.[p]Look in the BGE recipe pages for Geoffs "Super Buzzard" recipe. A light smoke of hickory, hickory and apple, or pecan is a nice touch. This is a good meal.[p]PS- Use the optional bacon in the recipe[p]Spin

• McKevin
    McKevin Posts: 47
    Options

I'm with Spin, injection works GREAT with deep fried birds, but my results have been less than stellar over charcoal.[p]Brine 'im...[p]Kevin[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    mckevin, and Spin, I echo your comments..The turkey from the BGE is swimming in natural juices combined with the exterior seasonings cannot be beat. BTW..I picked up a neat little cooking rack for 8 bucks today in a local kitchen store for turkey and large meats..It has side handles that curve over the bird for lifting out that tender morsel when its finished. I need to try that soooooooon. Its called the "nifty lifter" by T&L Nifty Lifters in Braham, Minnesota. Its oval and flat with large oval wire handles on the ends. Just right for handling those big birds.
    Cheers...C~W[p]

• disabledDK
    Options
    Spin, Thank you for all the info/advice! My family is picky about there meats (even though it's free-ha,ha). I did read the "Super Buzzard" recipe, it sounds great. I will stay away from the injection method and go for the rubs. Thanks again.[p]DK

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    DK,
    try brineing a turkey! The recipe for a brine is floating around in the archives, but if you can't find it and want one quick, e-mail me & I'll e-mail it back! I can't believe the difference it makes on the bird. My youngest daughter got the Smoke & Spice cook book and got me to try it. Now, I don't think I'll go back to smokin' one without brineing it first! Try it, you will be amazed![p]Dr. Chicken

• Dr. Chicken, let's brine a bunny! YAARRRRR!

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    K.O.C.,
    As good as Bunny is, I don't think it needs to be brined![p]Dr. Chicken